Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

North to Alaska

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Clemsonpilot, May 31, 2010.

Clemsonpilot guest

Hi all!
    I am in the Air Force and got orders to move to Anchorage, Alaska this fall. I have an 09 335xi and was wondering if anyone on the forums is from/has lived in Alaska and has any recommendations on studded or stud less tires. Thank you in advance!

bluewagon

I have not lived in Alaska ,but my son has. I sent him a link to your request.
    bluewagon

CRKrieger

Some guy named 'Carlson' checks in here occasionally ... ;)

tiFreak

I live in Vermont, but I'd recommend Nokian Hakkapelitas, Cooper WeatherMasters or Hankook Zovacs, I've used all 3 in the past, studs aren't really necesary if the roads are kept somewhat clean but if you have a steep driveway or something to get up I'd recommend them

dave335

Nokian Hakka 5 - Studded are unreal winter tires. I live in northern Alberta where we get a lot of snow and ice. They will go through anything. My previous boss ran Gislaved Nordfrost 5s on her 328XI and they were very good as well. The debate between studded and non-studded will center on how much ice you will encounter. I was really surprised that the studs on the Hakka 5s are very quiet. BavAuto sells the Hakkas.

bluewagon

My son answered my request on info about tires He said to purchase 4 studded tires in the lower 48 have the USAF ship them.you pay a lot of extra shipping to Alaska.
    bluewagon

bluewagon

My son answered my request on info about tires He said to purchase 4 studded tires and wheels in the lower 48 have the USAF ship them.you pay a lot of extra shipping to Alaska.
    bluewagon

Clemsonpilot guest

Thank you everyone for the replies!