Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rev matching

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Apex000, May 22, 2010.

az3579

Good skill to have; can't go on with synchros for the rest of my life not knowing how to double clutch when those synchros finally wear out... :rolleyes:

CRKrieger

If you rev match properly, you don't need synchros, either. We regularly see E28 gearboxes with 300-400K on them with good synchros. It really isn't an issue in any modern BMW.

az3579

My Getrag 260 had at least 340k miles on it when I retired it, and the synchros were still good. It was driven by the previous owner since '91, and he never rev matched.

It's a lot more satisfying to rev match though; such a bada$$ feeling when you're driving down main street and you come to a stop rev-matching down the gears without using the brakes, and people look at you like "WTF" because they're incompetant and don't even know what a rev-match is. :D

tiFreak

well you're not going to impress Dom if you're granny shifting and not double clutching like you should :rolleyes:

CRKrieger

Trust me; if Dom ever hears me going from fifth to second while heel and toe braking for Turn Five at Road America, he won't be thinkin' "granny" ... :p