Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

fluid for automatic transmission

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by hnacol, May 20, 2010.

hnacol guest

I have a 1991 325i with automatic transmission. What fluids should I get from the auto part for my transmission and rear differential?

Zdaneman

Redline

I've been running Red line fluids and have had no issues. Lots of options out there to select from.

Zdaneman sends

John in VA

hnacol,
    Have you looked in your owner's manual? It's usually in the glove box. If you don't have one, BMW has recently reissued a number of older model manuals - check at your dealer, or even BavAuto.com.
    Red Line makes fine fluids, but you need to know the proper weights & grades for the proper fluids.

hnacol guest

I do have owner manual, and I do read it, but Dexron II is not on the shelves of any local auto parts in my area.

This is not my first bimmer, but it is the first with automatic.

Thanks anyway.

Zeichen311

I've been assured the Dexron fluids are downward-compatible specifications, like API service grades for oil--later specifications can substitute for earlier ones, but not the reverse. Dexron III and IV should be readily available. I ran into this exact problem looking for power steering fluid (my system also calls for Dexron II).

Inquire at a good parts store, or call a BMW dealer or two if you want to be absolutely sure of the best replacement to use. Although they'll probably respond with the lifetime-fill nonsense or BMW-branded recommendation at first, any decent one will provide the replacement specification so you can go aftermarket. But price the BMW stuff anyway, you may be surprised--they don't mark up everything through the stratosphere.

fronton guest

redline for both. hands down best thing you can put in there

shanneba