Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Brake fluid.

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, May 17, 2010.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

How important is it to change the brake fluid in the e92 coupes or just in general?

Also has anyone who owns/drives the E92 coupe experience excess squealing from the wheels/brakes?

T

ForcedInduction guest

Brake fluid in all cars should be flushed/changed ever two years because brake fluid is hygroscopic. Thus it absorbs moisture from the air, which lowers the brake fluid boiling temp and can cause rusting of the brake system components. For track driving brake fluid should be changed at least yearly and bled before each event.

Brake squeal is a common issue on many cars and not easily resolved due to the many possible causes.

Thanks the info Forced. I was hoping for better news about my brakes, lol. The squeal drives me cazy. It even happens why I pull off slowly, not applying any pressure on the breaks.

Zeichen311

+1 to the above, with a couple of amendments.

Properly installed stock brake pads should rarely, if ever, squeal. "Proper" installation means that anti-squeal adhesive was applied to the backs of the pads and they were installed to clean pistons and calipers while the compound was still tacky. The only sure way to correct it is to remove the pads at the noisy wheel(s), thoroughly clean the backing plates and all mating surfaces of old adhesive, re-apply the anti-squeal compound and reinstall. (Edit: I should mention this is the merely the most common cause. As ForcedInduction noted it is not the only possible problem.)

For track use the sponsoring organization's requirements rule. To pass tech inspection for driving schools, my local chapter requires brake fluid be at most six months old.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure BMW won't go out of their way to reinstall the same pads for me. Sigh. Brake fluid would have no effect on the squealing correct?

Zeichen311

Were the brakes recently serviced by the dealer? Were they quiet before the service? If so, I would feel justified in applying some pressure to have the job (re-)done right. (I assume "dealer" because you said "BMW.")

Ultimately, this is an interpersonal relationships problem, not a mechanical one. You have to gauge your relationship with the dealer and decide how much good will you're willing to erode in exchange for quiet brakes. You can politely ask and give up after the first or second "no." You can complain to BMW NA and let the dealer know you are complaining. You can ratchet up through a series of increasingly obnoxious actions until your brakes are silent--as is the entire shop staff because no one wants to see, let alone talk to, you any more.

Another option is learn to do it yourself. All that's really required to get this right is to follow instructions and not rush through the job.

And no, sorry, the fluid isn't at fault. :(

ForcedInduction guest

Some of the challenges with brake pad squeal even on OE BMW pads is the rotors and pads wear. As they wear the surface of the rotor gets small grooves that can cause the pad to vibrate and thus squeal. Replacing the rotors and or pads may eliminate the squeal for awhile but it usually returns as the components wear. As NotTheStig pointed out the brake pad anti-vibration adhesive or liners help but they don't always eliminate the squeal and their effectiveness can change over time as they lose their adhesive quality.

Replace pads

I'm going to have my guys @ NEO AUTOS in South Windsor, CT replace the pads for me. They are a great Indie service. Check them out NEO AUTOS on the web. They sell cars as well. I wonder of they have to reset the pad system in the service info after they do it?

bcweir

Just as a "tactical" suggestion....

........you might want to hold off heaping praise on them until AFTER they fix the problem.

That way, if you should run into unexpected complications (i.e. they hire some new guy who starts jerking customers around, or the service staff are the nicest people on earth, but prove not to be up to the task at resolving your issue), you won't be walking around with egg on your face for promoting a shop that didn't live up to your effusive praise.

Just a thought.

Hope you're able to get this taken care of.

Haha, appreciate the advice! Nah, these guys are good, I have been using them for years. They did all the work to my 2003 530i. I wouldn't shout them out without experiencing the work 1st hand. I like the way you think though!

They fixed, my rear shift differential, gaskets, done my breaks, sway bars, all oil leaks, thermostat, water pump, too name a few...they should be able to handle my squeaky breaks....egg on my face doesn't sound like a good time at all. LOL

bcweir

No problem it's all good

I should tell you that if you search on the forum, you may discover that some 335's have been having problems with their HPFP's == aka high pressure fuel pumps. That may be the cause of your starting issue.

Yeah, I saw that too. The BMW dealer around my way is giving mea loaner next week wednesday, so they can keep my 335i overnight and check out the long startup and possible fuel pump issue. They have treated pretty good so far about the problem. We wil see what happens. I'll keep you posted.