Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

North Route To Elkhart Lake From East

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2010' started by jefrolison, May 15, 2010.

jefrolison

Hi we are leaving NE PA on Friday August 20th---via I-390---I-90---Niagara Falls NY-----Ludington Michigan-------Manitowic Wisconsin via the SS Badger ferry. We traveled this route to Grand Rapids O'Fest 2006. Passport required for passage thru Canada. Ferry ride is 4 hours- I know a "A Four Hour Tour- The Weather Started Getting Rough". Ferry leaves 8:30 pm EST with a 1 hour pre-departure load time.
    Jef Rolison

CRKrieger

'Manitowoc'

So you're on the 'red-eye' voyage. Do you already have a place to stay that night? I work in Manitowoc and I live about 1/3 of the way toward the track, so I can give you the REAL insider information on how to get to your bed by the fastest, most convenient route that night. If you're at Osthoff, ignore your GPS because it doesn't know the roads I know. ;)

jefrolison

Re: North Route To Elkhart Lake From East Reply to Thread

Yeah I knew I spelled Manitowoc wrong ;) I guess the real red eye is leaving Manitowoc at 12:55am. We could not get a room at The Oshoff during the race weekend and booked a room at Baymont Suites North Milwaukee/Grafton. I think I- 43 South is the road I want.
    The irony is I just got back from a business trip to Green Bay and stayed at Hotel Sierra- beautiful suite, free hot breakfast, and free happy hour drink. Corporate rate $61. I think distance and time are about equal. No GPS in the Bavaria lol- but I have a good navigator.
    Jef Rolison

CRKrieger

You couldn't find anything in Manitowoc or Two Rivers? Heck, there's a Best Western you can literally walk to from the ferry dock. Since it's on the 'wrong' side of town from the track, I would think there'd be some room there. The Lighthouse Inn (owned by friends of mine) is also on the lake, about 6 miles north, which beats the hell outta 75 miles south. But yes, I-43 is The Road.
    Actually, Green Bay is about half as far as Milwaukee from here. From there, you can use 41 and 55 and some county roads in Calumet & Sheboygan counties down to RA.
    I am really looking forward to seeing another 'Barbarian' since mine has sat in a barn for a dozen years engineless. You really shouldn't need any navigation aids because I-43 simply bisects this area north-to-south. Use it as your 'compass'.