Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Long starts in the morning....crank?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, May 14, 2010.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

Has anyone experiened long crank/startup in the mornings with their 335i? It only happens in the morning, then il good for the rest of the day. I also notice some misfire/rumbling while the car is in park with the enigne running. Can one of you Gurus help me out? I brought it into BMW and they said they had no idea. No codes so they couldn't say it was the infamous high presuure fuel pump.

I'm going to get my valve covers changed tomorrow, small oil leak. Think that might have anything to do with it? Thanks or the help.

ForcedInduction guest

Your car's symptoms are very typical of a failing HPFP. The fuel system fails to hold pressure overnight and takes a longer than normal time to pressurize the system at start-up which is why it runs rough. It will eventually throw fault some codes or not start at all or just stop on the hwy. some place.

BMW doesn't want the dealers to replace the HPFP until there is a fault code. The first thing they will do after a fault code is generated is update the software and send you on your way. The next time the problem exist, typically the next morning or within a week, they will check to see if the HPFP, pressure sensor or other engine issues exists and hopefully fix them. It's a long process and you'll get to know your BMW service dept. personnel very well because there currently is no lasting HPFP solution for the N54 engine. :rolleyes:

Sigh....not kool. Should have gotten the M3! lol. What if it never throws a code?

ForcedInduction guest

It will throw a code, not start at all or stop dead on the hwy. some place... :(

Lol. I hear ya man. Guess I should bring it back to BMW.

E92Dreier

If they try to tell you that they need to see codes to perform any service, try videotaping the symptoms. Then express your fears of being stranded someplace -- you should be able to make some progress.

Nice. I don't know if the knocking will show on video, but I'll def show them the long crank @ startup. Thanks for the idea. Love that M sport package by the way.

Scheduled appointment

Next Wednesday, they are going to keep my car overnight, to check out the long crank, and hopefully replace the fuel pump. I told them that last time they had it, they didn't find a code, but the manager said no problem; They would check it out again, and give me a loaner. So far they have treated me pretty good, considering my car has 54,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. Not too mention I didn't even buy it from them. I'll tell you how it goes next week. Thanks for all the advice guys.

catsbimmer guest

What do you mean by a long crank? My car 335 is only 3 months old, but I do notice some strange noises when I start my car in the morning. After about a minute or two, then then engine sounds normal. Don't ask me how I know, but after hearing a BMW start for 6 years, I think I know something.

Yea, some mornings my car takes longer than normal to start, and while it's in idle, it feels like it's misfiring. After that 1st morning start, it doesn't happen for the rest of the day, but the misfire is still present during idle. BMW thinkS it's the high pressure fuel pump. Apparently this is a big problem for alot of the twin turbos BMW makes, that's why it's warrantied for 10years or 120,000 miles.

ForcedInduction guest

Long cranks are typically when the engine cranks for like 4 or more seconds before it starts. Then it runs rough after it starts. Most people start to notice the longer cranks when it takes 2-3 seconds of cranking before the engine starts compared to starting right up at the turn of the key.

E92Dreier

Exactly -- it also tends to get worse and worse, until total failure or service lights galore.

There is also an updated fuel pump on 335i models since late MY09 or early MY10 - make sure you are getting the updated pump.

E92Dreier

A good video is always your friend - unless it shows something that is clearly not the HPFP.

...and thanks, I love the M-sport too....now all I need is the rest of an ///M.

Thanks for that info! I'm going to ask them for the upated pump. Hope this goes smoothly. I'll let you guys know next week.

catsbimmer guest

Thanks for the info, I am a E92 newbie, just traded my E46 330 Ci for this baby. Never had any problems with the E46 after 5 years, hopefully won't have any with this one either :) Not sure if I'll ever hear the crank though, my key got traded in for a push button :eek:

catsbimmer guest

So I guess what I am hearing is the misfiring. The first month or so after I got my car, whenever I would hear that sound (misfire ?) I would turn my car off and start again, and it would sound normal. It wasn't until I started to read the manual, and it said do not start the engine and stop it abruptly since the fuel will not burn completely that I just let the engine run. I hope this supposed misfire isn't a precursor to problems down the road. Never got the extended warranty on my 330 CI.....making me think about it now :(

Mine is push button start too....still get the long crank. If you guys want check out 335i high pressure fuel pump on YouTube. They have some start up issues on there.

fshubert

I had experienced long crank times as well (as long as 20-seconds) before my engine would ignite. Eventually my car threw a code (limp-home mode) and the dealer replaced the HPFP. Yours will go soon...... :(

No oil cooler????

Sigh...On a random note, I just realized today that I have no oil cooler on my car...What the hell? I have the sport package shouldn't I have gotten one?

Zeichen311

On earlier cars like yours, if the car was ordered with the sport package but without the optional wheel and tire upgrade, then it would not have received the 150mph top speed limiter or the oil cooler. I believe the oil cooler became standard across the board at some point but I haven't confirmed the details.