Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Welt Tours and some LUCK from the ash cloud!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 330indy1, May 10, 2010.

330indy1

I was in Munich this past week working at the 'Munchen High End' (hifi audio) show and was able to visit the Welt on Saturday. I was most interested in the plant tour but those are given only during the work week (no plant production on weekends). I was so bummed out to hear this at the info desk when I arrived there. So I walked around the Welt a bit, then went back to the info desk and asked about an English tour early the following Monday before my flight home. The tour was at 11:30 so that wasn't going to work either :(
    Then the representative said "Hold on... I will make a call" ... It turns out that production in the plant was in fact running on the weekend to make up for time lost to part delays from the ash cloud and he set up a tour for me! I was quite grateful. The tour was super and then I had lunch in the restaurant -- a great menu by the way. Then I did the guided museum tour. Again very cool. The CCA membership is good for discounts so if you visit take your membership card!
    I called my wife and mentioned I felt like a kid at Disney World... She laughed and then asked me, "Did you buy a car?" I told her, "I considered a compulsive purchase, especially the new 5er, but with three in our garage now I think we're 'good' ". But I will seriously look at ED next purchase, since she too loves Munich and Bavaria.
    I then crossed the street and wandered around in Olympic Park... That 1972 architecture is still so cool and obviously influenced the Welt design.
    By the way, I talked with some BMW engineers at the high end show on Sunday who work at the FIZ (sp?). It was nice to see their passion for hifi audio. Since BMW DesignworksUSA did one of our product industrial designs (Klipsch Palladium) it was a great conversation starter, as I expressed my enthusiasm for BMW.
    We had some laughs and a great exchange.
    Anyways, I'm sitting in the Munich airport right now waiting to board but wanted to share this experience with my CCA friends. If you get to Munich and not necessarily for ED, set aside a whole day for the Welt and tours. You will be so glad you did! :)
    Auf Wiedersehen!!

Zeichen311

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

I'm setting up a Euro delivery for the fall and will probably be debating how much time to allot the Welt until I board the plane. It will be not my first visit to Europe but my first to Munich. I am tempted to spend the full delivery day at the Welt but there is so much else to see and do! I've taken a factory tour at Spartanburg so I may opt for only the museum tour, to shorten the day a bit. Decisions, decisions.... :confused::)

Brian A

I trust you are now home safe and sane (...enjoy the jetlag recovery).

What discounts did you get with the membership card? It's all been quite mysterious to most of us.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Bet you still can't pronounce the name of the volcano that is erupting.

330indy1

Not quite home. O'Hare is so much fun.
    The factory tour is 10 euro. Cost me 3 euro. The guided museum tour was 12 euro. Cost me 9, if I remember correctly. I am a bit kaput. :).

Brian A

Hummm…

In 2008, unguided museum visit was 12 €. Cost me 6 €. Factory tour was 0 €. Cost me 0 €. Things have changed.

No other benefits to CCA membership in Munich?

330indy1

330indy1

what are you picking up? Definitely do the museum tour if time is short.