Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by Apex000, May 3, 2010.

Apex000

What is the recommended mileage to change spark plugs? i was told at 90,000 to 100,000 miles.

ForcedInduction guest

While it's true that some sparkplugs can last up to 100K miles, in my experience it's often better to change them more frequently because they erode in normal use and can cause misfires due to wear and build-up of deposits. I've never taken sparkplugs up to 50K miles.

Zeichen311

Agreed. Like some other items in the service schedule, this one is biased toward minimizing your cost of ownership, not maximizing the performance of your car (spark plugs for some BMW engines can run $20 a pop or more). The plugs are unlikely to fail by 100K but by that age the difference from a new set is dramatic.

I, too,replace spark plugs at 50-60,000 miles.

Apex000

Thanks for answers !

i'm currently at 64,800 miles in my 99' E36 3er , so i will have the plugs changed out at this upcoming oil change .

Apex000

Do you guy's recommend a certain brand of spark plugs? if so give me your thoughts

thanks

Zeichen311

Yes--the ones that fit. :D

Kidding aside, you don't get a lot of options. For most BMWs it's either Bosch or NGK--and not necessarily both, sometimes there is only one supplier. I have the option to choose and haven't cared. Both are excellent.

Apex000

thanks for the reply

thanks a lot everyone

EuroWerkz1

Spark plug intervals

I have been working on cars for 40+ years and the one thing that continues to amaze me is how long spark plugs last these days.

Honestly I haven't seen a bad spark plug in years and the materials now used along with the controlled combustion modern engines are capable of has made changing spark plugs a rare part of normal service. At one time an inspection II at about 60k miles called for spark plus and I offer that to my customers with M cars and cars that compete but to be honest I think 90k is more like it.

I have spoken to experts in the field of plug design and service and they tend to agree and say to link plug changes to the amount of Platinum and/or now Iradium your spark plugs contain. That also generally means the better the plug (read expensive) the longer it will last.I have had great luck with both Bosch and NGK products but wouldn't install a Champion in a lawn mower.

Enjoy,

Apex000

haha I will not blame you for not wanting to use Champion plugs . Thanks for taking the time to reply.

~T'erre