Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cabrio rear window

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by steven s, Apr 28, 2010.

• Staff

steven s

My rear window just cracked.
    I've seen a website that has a replacement plastic windows for a couple hundred bucks.
    The window needs to be sewn.
    Has anyone done this?

I could really use a new top but it would exceed the value of the car. :eek:

John in VA

Steven,
    I imagine you've seen this site. There is a link to a Yahoo forum that might have some info:
    http://e30ic.com/
    • Staff

steven s

Brian A

This was the exact situation I was in a couple of years ago. Took my car to a couple of experienced installers and learned that the 20 year old fabric was too weak to withstand the stress of removal and manipulation in a sewing machine. Ultimately I dropped $1k on a new top (using yet a different installer).

If it is a single crack, clear ShooGoo really does a good job of sealing the crack and holding the pieces together. I drove a couple of years like that while I went through the 5 phases of grief before accepting that I needed a new roof. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCoaBN6iOu0)
    • Staff

steven s

For now I'm using Racer's Tape. :D
    The top isn't folding down well either. Luckily it's a manual top.
    It's a shame, I have H&R Sport Springs and Bilsteins going into the car next week.
    Also changing the timing belt.

AC doesn't work.
    Radio doesn't work when it's very cold.
    Leaking oil.

I hope this doesn't turn into a money pit.
    I hate this car. :(

az3579

You sir are in the wrong section... all E30's are money pits and is always a love/hate relationship!
    • Staff

steven s

I love my ti. I'd do anything for her. :)
    Hate the E30. It just gets me from home to work and back.
    After replacing the suspension and timing belt, nothing else better go wrong.
    Oh, it's also rusting like a tin can.

az3579

E36 owners... geez. :rolleyes:

Brian A

Not true. Once fixed up, all they require is inexpensive routine maintenance and the occasional replacement of a worn part or two.

Another of the many merits of the E30: they are biodegradable.

az3579

Assuming one gets bored of modding one. :D

Brian A

True, I suppose (mercifully, I like bottlecaps).
    • Staff

steven s

My headliner in my E36 is secured with staples. :)
    The window regulators are too small to support the window.
    My water pump failed after 240,000 miles.
    There is my love/hate relationship.

Guerc

Money Pit

I couldn't agree more. "Money Pit" status is a feature, not a bug. It's like the old saying about a boat: It's a hole in the water that you pour money into.

Candidly, using a 20-25 year old car as a daily driver is a tenuous decision at best. It is feasible, but the E30 will entail a lot more ongoing maintenance than, say, a 3-5 year old car. These cars are well beyond their designed service life of 10-15 years. The mere fact that they even remain serviceable is a tribute to their engineering and construction.

I daily-drive my own E30 (aptly named "Project Money Pit") and it has been quite reliable. However, I find myself doing a LOT more maintenance and refurbishing work than a newer car, like my E46 that only required gas and once-a-year oil change and windshield wipers. I enjoy the work, so it's a hobby. If I didn't enjoy it....