Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

newby questions

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2010' started by billk, Apr 22, 2010.

billk

I see Karting on the schedule but no description of what that is. Also what is Gymkhana? If I do the autocross on Friday will there be time to do other stuff? What about the Car Clinics....are they all day events or can I plan to do another event? It would be easier to plan if the times for the events were posted.
    I'd also like to have a friend enter her car in a clinic, but she's not a CCA member. Can I buy a day pass for her and sign her up for the clinic without getting her a membership?
    Thanks,
    Bill K
    • Staff

steven s

Karting as in gas powered go-karts on a closed small race course.
    Gymkhana. That's a tough one since I don't know what the theme will be.
    A gymkhana can be many things. Last year we drove X5s through an off road course while balancing a tennis ball in a bowl mounted to the hood. Other gymkhanas have been drive through a course, stop and squirt water pistols at something. Or maybe through a ring and make it land on a something.

Car Control Clinics generally have several exercises ranging from threshold braking, collision avoidance and skid control. Plus some chalk talk in a classroom.

I don't have the autocross schedule but they are generally an all day event.
    All participants must be BMW CCA members,

bcweir

Question about your friend's membership

Put her on as an associate membership. It's only $10 a year.

Zeichen311

The rest of the article gives a false impression of what I suppose you could call a "fun" or "gimmick" gymkhana such as the CCA typically organizes. For "obstacle" above, think "any crazy damn thing you can safely do with, in, on or near your car while navigating a prescribed, timed course." :D

Besides the examples Steven gave, another I recall seeing in Roundel involved stopping the car, putting on a gigantic foam cowboy hat and attempting to lasso a sawhorse-like "steer."

Autocross + silliness - helmets = gymkhana. :)

billk

Thanks for the info. Sounds like one day for the car clinic, one day for the autocross, and probably another for the Karting (which sounds like great fun). There must be an extra charge for Karting, right? When will the event times be posted in the schedule>

I understand that the meals are included with the admission cost. Will there be a lunch break for all the events or do I have to brown bag it when I do the autocross for example?

I saw that the autocross will be on a real road course rather than using the traditional cones in a parking lot. THAT sounds awesome!

Now to find a convoy from New England...... I find that going through Canada is better than down low and through Chicago (nightmare traffic if you pick the wrong time).

CRKrieger

It's my understanding that the lunches will be at the track. So is the autocross (just off the straight between 7 & 8). If things run smoothly, I would think we could arrange a lunch break for autocross participants. Maybe even get individual classes run in a half day, so you'd either have the morning or afternoon off.
    I don't know if I'd recommend coming down through Michigan's UP, though. There are two carferries across the lake. One lands at Manitowoc, less than 30 miles from Elkhart Lake. As a Manitowoc resident, of course, I recommend this one.
    • Staff

steven s

Karting is included with either the day pass or package for that day.
    It's arrive and drive.

If they're coming from New England, I would suggest Rte 17 from Ottawa to Sault-Ste Marie with a side trip up and back to WaWa (great drive). I like the trip though the UP and down from the Iron Range. US 2 across the UP then to US 41 near Escanaba should put you on the proper path to the rally.

billk

" As a Manitowoc resident, of course, I recommend this one."
    Yup we've taken that ferry. It's a nice trip, except we took it at midnight with the expectation of sleeping on it. Wrong! That would have taken a room, which they have for extra money of course. We stay with my mother in Manitowoc. Nice town. Of course there is always the mandatory trip to Sheboygan for the Charcoal Inn!

The trip through the UP is really good. There are 2 lane roads most of the way in Canada and the UP but enough 3-lane places to pass the trucks. We are getting more nd more into a "shun pike" mode when we travel. Lots more peaceful, especially with the top down and no tractor trailers right next door.

I wonder if the Karting event will have long lines...that should be really popular.

03BeastCharmer

Really.... I didn't sign up for it, but if it's in the package, and I'm going to be at the track already to watch my wife drive that day, I think I'll be doing a little karting :D

So my ofest wristband/id lanyard is all I would need?

CRKrieger

The Upper Peninsula ("Da UP") is truly beautiful, but be aware that it has a lot of deer that love to wander around on those roads. They're not real smart, either, so crashes are quite common. I would hate to see any O'Fest attendees not make it past Green Bay because of a 'woods rat' collision. Of course, the deer population in Wisconsin is also quite high, so observation and caution going through wooded areas is always a good idea. That includes the track. :eek:

03BeastCharmer

I was about 6 inches away from hitting a deer last year on our way to Ofest while driving throught Louisiana in the middle of the day. Confirmed that our Hawk brake pads (and Direzzas) may be loud, but they sure do work well.:eek:

Be careful in those wooded areas.

My favorite UP experience was an adult black bear ambling across US2 on a July afternoon. That's interesting, even from a middle of nowhere Pennsylvania perspective. I was on a k75c.