Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New Guy in Northern VA

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by F111Otter, Apr 17, 2010.

F111Otter

Hi everyone! I'm a new CCA member and new owner of a CPO 2008 550i. I've been looking to get a BMW for a while, and drove a couple of 535's, but once I drove the 550 I was hooked!! I found a couple in the area and really liked the dark, dark, dark blue of the Carbon Black, so I took the plunge! The only problem in Northern VA is the high volume of traffic usually doesn't let me get up to speed.

Here's a pic, but I'm new at this so hopefully it works!

cwbiii guest

My daily is a 2006 750. I love that engine and the ride to go with it. Everybody else wants to know how fast a car goes from 0-60... I'm more interested in how fast it steps out from 75-90... passing in the high speed!
    I just push it to the floor and let it back up and I coasting back down in front of the car whose driver was distracted and not paying attention... and they usually pull over after that manuever. How is the HUD? Any issues with bright sunny conditions?
    Welcome from another newbie... (I just signed in yesterday)...

Chuck

F111Otter

The HUD is pretty cool! Shows speed, warnings, navigation, and cruise control setting. No problem with sunlight, other than it being dimmer due to my polarized sunglasses. Here's a pic:

az3579

You might want to be careful of posting a picture online with evidence of you clearly going over the speed limit, along with a picture that has your plate number!

John in VA

F111Otter

Pics fixed, thanks for the tip!

az3579

Just lookin' out. :)

Wish they made your wheels in 4-lug for E30's.
    Come to think of it, every single OEM wheel I like doesn't come in 4-lug! :(

Ryan323i guest

Sweet ride man, I love the 550! And you got the best color in carbon black, can't beat it!

bcweir

E30's can be converted to five lug, usually by using M3 hubs.

google e30 five lug conversion and you will see lots of information on this. Some just use E30 M3 hubs (that will work too).

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-155500.html

az3579

bcweir

See that white car to the left of this post?

After I eat and pay my bills, IT has first dibs on my cash. Sorry.

You asked, I provided the information. That's the limit of my responsibility. Sorry again.

Zeichen311

Welcome--sweet car! I noticed one like yours while creeping along in traffic a few months back. It caught my eye because when it comes to paint, there is black and then there is black. Figured out afterward it was Carbon Black.

Usually I don't get to see 550i's for very long, because the operator squeezes that long pedal on the right and they go away. :(

bcweir

Yeah, BMW's with '5' in the MIDDLE of their three-digit model number tend to do that.

Sorry! :)

Cheers!

Zeichen311

:D

Not always, fortunately--I had a rare 750iL-sighting this morning (2nd in as many years, I think) on the way to work. Dark green over tan, in nice shape from what I could see. When I overtook him we exchanged the standard "nice car" wave-and-smile pantomime. I'll have to look for him at the chapter meeting tonight and tell him in person if he's there. :)

Such a nice car.

bcweir

You got LUCKY then...

Dark green over tan is a nice color combo.

That is, lucky he decided not to use you to clean out the carbon deposits from his exhaust system. At least that's the excuse I use when I get pulled over. I'll let you know when it successfully gets me out of a speeding ticket. :mad:

tiFreak

well, as long as you only like bottlecaps, weaves and steelies you can get any OEM rims you like in 4-lug :p see? glass half full ;)