Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Head light replacement on Euro E24 - help

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by TeamStowell, Apr 5, 2010.

TeamStowell We love driving!

I need some assistance. I am trying to replace the original Hella drivers side head lamps, and do not know how to proceed. I have removed the side light and grill, unbolted the support frame, and can not remove it from the car. It looks like the headlight wiper motor is hitting the inner frame. Can I replace the lights without removing the whole unit? I have never had to replace the whole unit and could use some advice. Thank you.

Step one complete

Well, I have the assembly removed and have the replacement reflectors and bulbs coming today from Bavauto (I love UPS tracking!). Most of the old plastic adjusters are in rough shape and also no longer available so I couldn't replace them if I wanted to. I'll have to see if I can make do with what I have....

John in VA

CRKrieger

I hate to tell you this now, Scott, but you don't do that from the front.

First, remove the big plastic cover (#19) from the radiator wall. Then, unplug the connector from the back of the lamp. Rotate the big metal cup on the back (#12, #13) and then unplug the wires underneath that. You'll find the H4 bulb retained in place by a wire spring kinda' thing. Undo that and replace the bulb.

As for the nylon adjusting sockets and stuff (#5, #7), I got a full set for my E28 before it committed suicide and I still have 'em around. I don't use Euro lamps now, so I won't be using them. Let me know if you can't find any and I'll dig 'em out.

Thanks for the info folks. I did have to pull the whole bucket out to get to the rusted reflectors. The replacement Hella Quartz reflectors do not have the attachment points needed for the Euro buckets, so I am swapping to the American buckets - another euro 6 owner/mechanic suggested that the time and money to find all the parts would be excessive. The originals will sit on a shelf for a future project. It will be nice to have more light for those night runs.

Again a big thank you to John and CR.... good Karma to you :)

CRKrieger

Well, yeah; I could have told you that, too. Didn't know you were buying them. The Euro parts are almost BMW-exclusive (there might have been a Benz that used them), so you have to find them, not just a Hella quartz-halogen lamp. Looking at the RealOEM parts, it appears that the lights you need are E24-exclusive. They are not even the same as the E28 (although the adjuster parts are). Daniel Stern has tracked unique Hella lamps down for me before. Tell him I sent you and that the E24 is not the same as the E28. It might help to give him the BMW parts numbers.

63121371935 is the left low beam
    63121371936 is the right low beam
    63121370904 is the high beam (both sides identical)

There are French market versions that have yellow reflectors, if you want a different look:
    63121371939 is the left low beam
    63121371940 is the right low beam
    63121370914 is the high beam (both)

Well, if you have the money, the parts are out there. I would expect you could track everything down within a month if it's that important to you. If you really want the functionality, though, just use the Hellas in the US buckets and enjoy.