Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Aftermarket exhaust for my E24 M6

Discussion in 'E24 M6 (1987-1998)' started by sumantob, Apr 3, 2010.

sumantob guest

The factory exhaust pipes are showing their age on my car ('88 M6). I am trying to decide between Billy Boat or any other recommended offerings. Here are the Billy Boat choices:

FBMW-0700 630, 635
    TWIN 3" ROUND TIPS 77-mid88

FBMW-0720 635
    TWIN 3" ROUND TIPS mid88-89

bcweir

Can you describe a little more about what you are looking for?

My Bavarian autosport catalog lists the Billy Boat exhaust with the following information:

replacement quality - Ultimate
    Performance gain - greatest
    Sound - Aggressive
    Installation - Bolt-on
    Material - Stainless Steel
    Cost - Highest Initial (est. E.g. $939.95)
    Warranty - limited lifetime

I'm actually partial to Dinan exhaust systems, but Korman and other companies also offer comparable options. It depends mainly on what you are looking for

CRKrieger

Which is to say, "Just the same as everybody else - none."

bcweir

Perhaps I should clarify, since CR is getting cranky again

I have reproduced the chart in the diagram. it's provided only for comparison purposes and is a handmade reproduction of the one in my Bavarian Auto Print catalog.

I hope it will put the comparison into a more competitive prospective.

This is a reproduction of the chart in the catalog and does not in any way represent an endorsement of Bavarian Autosport or any of their products

John in VA

"Sound - Aggressive" = loud, or should I say LOUD! But loud pipes save lives, right?

I'm not sure why you're leaning toward an aftermarket system. The original Boysen has good fit, flow and sound, and will last nearly 20 years.

Check on the E24-specific forums to see what the thoughts are, or join and ask:
    http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw/bmw-6-series-e24/
    http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=eb0c91be2dcc64cb8d175bdc8fa53bbc

There are also quite a few E24 owners on this E28 forum, so you could check there, too:
    http://www.mye28.com/

CRKrieger

I'm not questioning your honesty; I'm questioning theirs. Did you notice that the level of 'performance gain' perfectly matched the level of 'initial cost'? Some coincidence, eh? :rolleyes:

I'll believe that when I see the dyno runs.

bcweir

Despite the fact it came from a parts vendor...

..I believe it still has some use for comparing other features of other exhaust systems besides entirely subjective criteria such as noise.

Try to look at the bigger picture.

Besides, John in Va's links offer additional insight into these exhaust options.

CRKrieger

I thought that my original edit made it pretty clear. Try to understand that I intentionally commented on only one aspect. I will look at the bigger picture when it suits me. This time, it didn't. The point I wished to make is that none of these systems has more than a negligible effect on performance. It is purely advertising puffery - the same thing that K&N depends on to sell BMW air filters for five times as much as the equally effective OEM filter.

granthr

I am a huge fan of Billy Boat exhausts. However they are expensive and loud! :D My friend had a BB on his E24 M6 and it sounded awesome! I have a BB on my M20 325ix and I think it sounds awesome too. :D You will certainly be noticed with this exhaust and it will be loud around town. Out on the highway it won't be too intrusive, but I guess that is still a matter of opinion. My wife still rides with me, but she if very tolerant. :D

The other advantage is that they are stainless steel and very well made and shouldn't have any issue installing it on your car.

Let us know what you get.

bcweir

Are we talking about mufflers, or your own experiences?

You havent even stated the basis of your own standpoint for claiming an exhaust has minimal effect on auto performance. Really? Based on what? Did you purchase a bad product in the past? Do you have dynamometer figures backing up these claims? It's one thing to state a bad experience with one specific product. Instead you're accusing an entire segment of the automotive aftermarket of deceptive advertising. That's a disservice to them as well as to anyone that is looking at non-factory alternatives for an exhaust replacement.

An automotive exhaust has two primary functions: to expend exhaust gases away from the engine as well as safely away from the passengers, and to regulate backpressure. By regulating backpressure, an automotive exhaust can also, to a partial extent, increase, decrease, or otherwise modify noise. It can also have an effect on power and fuel economy by regulating the extent an engine can "breathe", in much the same way animals exhale expended carbon dioxide. A good exhaust system can yield anywhere from a 10 to 25 hp increase in hp and/or torque, and can improve gas mileage by UP TO 5 or more MPG.

Your somewhat cynical "experience" with "advertising puffery" is a generalization that not only isn't helpful to the OP trying to make an informed purchase decision, but it blankets honest and deceitful businesses alike with the same lying, cheating brush. The OP is trying to make an informed purchase decision on an exhaust for his M6, and you're turning it into a referendum on deceptive advertising! Not only is it divisive, it's not at all helpful to anyone.

Finally, due to the level of the negativity in your "opinion," it could technically be considered "hijacking" a thread. The OP was simply looking for help deciding on a BB exhaust system, and you're trying to turn it into a dissertation on deceptive advertising.

CRKrieger

I hardly think an 11-word reply is a "dissertation" on anything. It is not me that blew this into a huge conflagration, but you, by making rash and overly broad assumptions about what I wrote. I already said I'd believe a performance improvement when someone shows me some proof it exists. I do not intend to prove a negative, as you are demanding I do.

az3579

Oh come on guys, not this again...

CR,
    He does have a point. You're not necessarily providing any kind of useful information with regards to the OP's purchase decision.

To the both of you,
    The OP made no mention of performance. If he was asking which one would yield the best performance, then perhaps this argument would have some validity, but nowhere did he mention his interest in performance. Hence, this debate is pointless!
    So, will ya both please just knock it off? :rolleyes:

Zeichen311

Super-Duper Ultimate
    Performance gain: Completely unpredictable
    Sound: Cacophonous
    Installation: Download
    Materials: Teflon pundits
    Cost: Priceless
    Warranty: Hahahahahaha!
    ;) :D

CRKrieger

THAT's what I'm talkin' about! :D

sumantob guest

your comments

Hi Folks - I just wanted to know if anyone on this forum had replaced their exhaust for similar reasons (age). I am not necessarily looking for a sound upgrade/change, but do want a system that will perform and last at least as well as the OEM one.

I mentioned Billy Boat since that company prominently advertises in some of the BMW club magazines and Bavarian Auto.

John in VA

This seems to take us back to post #5, the suggestion to use the BMW-supplied system.

granthr

+1, If you just want to replace the existing system without a change in sound than go with OEM BMW exhaust. It will be high quality and the sound will be about the same. BBs exhausts are also very high quality, really a work of art, but there will be a huge difference in sound that you might not like.

rmorin49

Resurrecting this thread seeking advice and feedback from any E24 M635 or M6 owners who are running an aftermarket exhaust system without cats. I am having a heck of a time sourcing mufflers for my Euro spec car as it seems BMWNA is blocking these parts from the US. The only aftermarket company I can find that sells a system with a resonator and rear muffler is Supersprint. I do not want an excessively loud exhaust and no droan on the highway. My car has the factory headers, no cats, OEM resonator (with a hole) and a rear muffler (with a hole). If anyone out there has an E24 or E28 with the M88/S38 motor and is running a Supersprint system without cats please send me and email with your comments. An audio clip would be fantastic. Thanks.

rmorin49ATgmail dot com

MGarrison

You might try ECS Tuning or Maximillian for Euro parts, probably better to phone 'em. Bav. Auto might be able to get 'em too, not sure.

http://www.ecstuning.com/

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/

http://www.bavauto.com/

Not your car, but on my E30 w/ M20, when the Supersprint was new, it was pretty sedate, the quietest of any non-stock sport muffler I'd had. It's old and pretty blown-out now, so now it's loud - but it took years to get to that point. If the holes are small, possibly they could be welded/patched, but if the internals are blown out, that won't quiet it down much.

rmorin49

Thanks. Already tried ECS. They say they are NLA. Maximilian is my next stop. Bav Auto says they can't help me either on the OEM parts and they are not a Superspring dealer. If anyone can recommend a Supersprint dealer that gives a BMWCCA discount let me know.