Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Newbie from Milwaukee, WI

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by GSMetal, Mar 27, 2010.

GSMetal

Hello all.

Just wanted to introduce myself as the latest newbie.

Picked up a 01 530I 5 speed with 40,000 miles this past week. Nice clean car owned by an older friend of mine. All service records are up to date and fully documented.

Owned plenty of BMW motorcycles over the last 20 years of riding but this is my first car. Looking forward to meeting all of you at Oktoberfast at RA this year.

CRKrieger

You'd better look forward to meeting all of us at OktoberFEST this year (in August) followed by meeting all the local lunatics at OktoberFAST in October. :D

In fact, you're not too late to help out with Oktoberfest as we host it for the first time in almost 30 years. Hit the website at www.badgerbimmers.org to see when meetings are or just consider yourself drafted to help out with autocross ... ;)

BMcW

Welcome to the club! I really want to go to Oktoberfest this year. Hope to see you there.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the funhouse!

Yeah, if you're really lucky, you MIGHT escape Wisconsin without ever running into Krieger!

You gonna let Jenny ride your bike again this year, CR?

:D :D :D

CRKrieger

After she fixes the gearbox. You should have seen that damn driveway where she dumped it. Hell, after walking it, and sweeping all the leaves and debris off it, I was still scared to ride the bike up or down. I did ride up it (first gear; big brass balls; go for it!-style :eek:), but I don't think I tried going down.

drummerfc

Welcome...and VERY NICE RIDE!! :D:D Very similar to mine (02 525i 5-speed sport pkg.). You will love this car! Just a few things to be aware of as you go along in your ownership - don't say nobody ever told you (LOL! :cool:):

1. Something called the Final Stage Resistor WILL die! Not "might"...WILL. This stupid little part controls the operation of the heating/AC system...when it goes, your fan will turn off/on and the fan speed will variate without user input. When it goes the fan will actually come on when the car is turned off...thereby, draining your battery.

2. Watch for wet floors after heavy rains...especially in the rear footwells. Not the end of the world but the fix will involve having someone take the door apart. Not sure of all of the details but I know there's tons of information on this out on this newfangled WWW.

3. This is one of the best cars BMW has ever designed and built - except for the cooling system!! Around 100,000 or so miles, be on the lookout for cooling system failure. I'm on borrowed time myself, having over 104,000 miles and still running with the original. They built the stupid thing out of *plastic* (including the radiator) and my mechanic told me I should be proactive and replace the entire thing before it's too late.

4. Some of the pixels on the radio/computer readout will start to go. Not worth fixing IMO, as they would have to replace the entire system (@$1000). I have a few that are out but I can still read the time/station/etc., so I'll live with it.

5. Get an after-market cup holder, or don't EVER bother to drink coffee in this car!! Do NOT use the dinky little so-called cup holders below the climate control system!! Before I got wise to this, I've had to invoke Homer Simpson (re: D'OH!) a few times after cleaning a coffee spill or 2. :mad:

But again - you will LOVE this car. Great handling, not the fastest kid on the block but pretty powerful/quick in it's own right. Enjoy!!

GSMetal

Thanks Drummerfc!

Those are all very good points. These are things that I need to know since this is my first BMW car. I've had more BMW Bikes over the last 27 years of riding and know all about the nuances of each model but the cars are a little more of a mystery for me.

I have to say I'm really impressed with this car. The power and handling on it are really stellar not to mention the overall stature going down the road. And with only 40,000 miles (and never seen winter) the car is still a pup.

I really feel like a race car driver when I get behind the wheel. :D

drummerfc

Hey, that's part of what this organ-Y-zation is all aboot, eh? If I can help a fellow 5-series brutha out, it's all good!

I'm sure all of us E39 drivers have experienced one, several, or all of those issues at one time or another. Every rose has it's thorn, as the old song goes.

Not surprising. I've had "her" for almost 2 years now, and it's almost 8 years old, but my wife's brand new Lexus RX350 doesn't ride and handle as well as my 5'er IMO. And it still turns heads...when I take the time to shine 'er up good, people are amazed when they find out it's an '02. Nothing like opening it up a bit and pushing the envelope a little to make the morning commute a little more interesting!! :eek::D

Jay B guest

From one newbie to another, welcome! :D

GSMetal

Jay...what are you drivin'?

Zeichen311

Welcome to the party! :)

Jay B guest

An E53 X5. :)

LemansbleuM5

Fsr

anyone have links to DIY-ing this FSR?
    Is it hard to find and replace?