Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2011 M3 Competition Package...USA Market Shortchange!

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by Llansley737, Mar 24, 2010.

Llansley737

2011 E92 M3 ( US Competition Package Debut in Geneva: Monte Carlo Blue)

Okay,

I've been waiting and waiting for the exact color, aerodynamic package, and factory performance options to finally make the BMW M3 the perfect car.

The one revealed at the Geneva Motor Show for 2011 in "MONTE CARLO BLUE" for the US Market is exactly what I have been hoping and waiting for.

I don't understand what motivates BMW to have this new Competition Package M3 make its public debut in a color that is "NOT AVAILABLE TO US MARKET". The Competition Package is exclusively for the US Market. So why show us a color we are not offered? Yet it is available on the hefty X5 M....(As If!!!)

Cannot even be special ordered as an "BMW Individual" color.

This color was available for the European market as advertised at the Frankfurt Auto Show on the M3 "Edition" model. Of course there's also the M3 GTS....Sorry America, not for you.

As a long time BMW Enthusiast, I find myself growing weary and more frustrated with BMW's lack of offerings within the US.

I've read enough internet heresay regarding a slate of new "M Exclusive" colors for the M3 and US Market beginning in August 2011 such as matte finishes in "FROZEN GREY", possibly "MONTE CARLO BLUE". Can anyone here validate any of this?

It's reached the level of being a "deal breaker", perhaps just on principle. Not all of us in the US want big, High Performance SUV's.

bcweir

I think I know one POSSIBLE & PRACTICAL reason the color isn't offered

The M3 is manufactured in in Garching, Germany at BMW's Gmbh manufacturing facility.

The X6 is manufactured in South Carolina in the USA. That's a practical reason right there. It would certainly explain why it's not available through BMW Individual. In the past, BMW's Individual program was limited to vehicles built in Germany for obvious reasons -- it's a lot easier to PAINT the vehicle on the same side of the ocean it's built from, right?

It's probably not realistic to assume that BMW's selection of paints are universally available at every single manufacturing plant -especially when the two models in question are separated by the Atlantic Ocean.

It would also explain why the X6 is not available for the European delivery program, likewise for the X5 and Z4, likewise also built in South Carolina (I don't know about the current model Z4, but the Z3 and the original Z4 came out of South Carolina). The European delivery program for THOSE vehicles would be a bit silly, wouldn't it?

As for the other limitations, usually there are any number of reasons BMW will say "nein" to the USA. Here's an example: BMW offered a "large brake" package for the late model E34 M540i for everyone EXCEPT the USA. Reportedly, the reason was that these enormous brakes required frequent inspections to ensure they didn't warp or overheat. Reportedly, BMW's legal department was worried about product liability if owners didn't keep up the inspections on these very expensive brakes (you know how much America loves their trial lawyers)!

That and it costs around a million dollars every time BMW wants to certify a new engine. Don't get me wrong. I think BMW should send their fours over here too. But one problem I do know they would have would be what to price them at. The MINI already has a four cylinder engine AND a hatch, and they're priced at between $22,000 to to $28,000. The BMW 1-series starts at $28,000 and goes all the way up to around $40,000. As much as I'd like to see a four cylinder hatchback here, YOU tell ME where they would price it at so as not to cannibalize MINI sales. Either that, or perhaps BMW doesn't believe America will pay $30,000 for a four-banger powered BMW, especially not one that is already close to 3,300 pounds.

I don't want to come across as an apologist for BMW, but I think sometimes BMW gets an unfair rap for being viewed as "mean-spirited" for the various "unobtainium" vehicles that don't make it across the pond. Just because you don't know the reason doesn't always mean it's unreasonable.

az3579

Solution; stop overpricing the MINI and insert 4-banger Bimmer where it used to be.
    Problem solved.

Llansley737

Thanks for the response, but I think you missed my point.

Forget about the X5...I know it's built in SC. Been there, done the tour!

Let's stick with the BMW M3!

1.) Does BMW "build and paint" the M3 in Germany...regardless of which country it's being shipped to?

2.) If so, why can they paint some cars in Monte Carlo Blue but not others...based upon the market to which it is being shipped?

3.) The new "Competition Package" for the 2011 M3 is BMW's concession to the US market for not offering the GTS, or any of the "Edition" models here. At the Frankfurt Motor Show the European exclusive "Edition" model made it's debut in Monte Carlo Blue. At the Geneva Motor Show the US exclusive "Competition Package" also made it's debut in...yep, you guessed it...MONTE CARLO BLUE!

So, it's obviously not a question of oceans or distant, transborder manufacturing plants. SAME CAR - SAME PLANT - SAME COMPANY - SAME COLOR PAINT! More over, the car they intend to be a US exclusive with the "Competition Package" is painted in a color they will not offer to the US Market. Why?

Seems like a rather inexplicable and arbitrary marketing decision to me!

Trying to defend this does in fact make you sound a bit of an apologist, and I am usually one of the biggest BMW apologists' you'll find. This is getting very old and annoying though. Very disappointed. Just means, I will continue to hold off on a purchase that's all.

MGarrison

But... it doesn't work that way... Just because you think the Mini is overpriced doesn't mean it is. If the Mini is selling well & profitably for BMW at whatever it's priced, then it's at a fair market price, considering all pricing factors. Most companies strive to be as profitable as possible... buy a few shares of BMW stock and then tell us if you don't think BMW should be making as much profit as it can... after you get those brakes together, of course! ;) :p

LLansley, I hope you get yourself a Monte Carlo Blue M3 someday!

Llansley737

Thanks!

I realize I'm being a bit picky and could just settle, but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to have a color preference at least made available for $70K+.

I have been impressed with how accurate the internet rumors have been regarding the upcoming offerings from BMW. They've been pretty much "spot on" so far.

It is rumored that BMW has a run of "Frozen Grey" M3's destined for the UK market in March/April time frame. These new "Matte Finish" colors will become available to the US market around August along with some M specific color options.

Hoping this is true, and willing to continue to wait and see what BMW does.

Anyone else here have any scoop. Appreciate any inside scoop available. Thanks Again!

Zeichen311

This hints at one possible factor in the sometimes arbitrary-seeming availability of options in different markets. I think they might use the "take rate" over a few months to estimate the demand in a larger market so appropriate adjustments can be made in the manufacturing process.

With just-in-time inventory management, the quantity on hand of a given paint would be tied to the number of vehicles ordered in that color (among other things). Managing that supply line using empirical data rather than estimates could yield financial benefits, however small. Although color preferences can vary substantially between countries, there are ways to allow for that...such as, by how many salivating CCA members write letters begging for Monte Carlo Blue. ;)

The above is speculation of course, but many times "no" has changed to "yes" once they were certain the demand was real. Call or write to BMW NA so they know you're out there--I hope you don't have to wait too long!

tiFreak

while we're on the subject, I don't see why BMW couldn't offer the E36 323ti in the US, it's an engine that was offered in the US, in a chassis that was offered in the US, but they only sold them in Europe, I honestly don't understand it :confused:

bcweir

The philosophical question that follows is..

why stop with the 2.3? BMW could have also offered an M52/M54 six powered ti, as well as an M3 hatchback as well. It's practically the same car from the doors forward!

SBrasesco

As an aside.....

BMW announced that it will NOT be making an M3 saloon when the new "3" series debuts....it will only be in a coupe` or vert.

az3579

LAME. :mad:

bcweir

A shortsighted mistake not to offer an M3 4 door sedan

The M3 coupe and convertible does have its virtues, but rear seat access is not one of them.

On the plus side, BMW may say this now, but I don't think this is the last word on the subject.

I should remind everyone that BMW had also stated they were not going to export an E36 M3 (they did). They said they weren't going to export an E36 M3 sedan (they did). They also stated they were not going to export the Euro-version of the S54 engine (they did - eventually coming up with a single world market version of the hot inline six in the E46 M3 at 333 hp).

I should also point out that between Audi's and Mercedes' entry-level performance cars, they can hardly afford NOT to make the M3's appeal as wide as possible. BMW most certainly does not want to lose a potential M3 customer to Audi or Mercedes.

az3579

Well, there have been times where they really did have the last word. Take the E46 M3, for example. I sorely wish they made one, because then I'd consider buying one used.

Llansley737

This is true...

Just got a spec sheet yesterday for a 2010 Mercedes C63 AMG from the local dealership with the "Performance Pack Plus".

This Package Adds;

-Lightweight Forged Pistons/Internals from SLS (+30HP)
    -Upgraded AMG Compound Brakes w/ Red Calipers
    -AMG Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid Spoiler
    -Alcantara/Nappa Leather Steering Wheel
    -Delimitation of Top Speed to 174 mph
    -Optional LSD

Also includes: a.) Spare tire b.) Oil dipstick, and all priced within the same 68-75K range with a BMW M3. Yes, I've read all the comparos. Take your pick!

BMW must be resting comfortably on its laurels indeed when they can routinely hold back and stiff the US performance car enthusiasts of their best offerings.

They are making the choice to consider other German performance brands easier. I really wish it weren't so, but I'm just being honest.

bcweir

Well, your friends here might not rush to put the welcome mat out, but...

..I don't think anyone would blame you for buying what you want. While certainly not my first choice, no one can honestly fault you for being pushed to a Mercedes AMG C63 or even an Audi S4. With the exception of possibly the SLK and the Smartcar, the C-class is considered to be Mercedes' physically smallest and entry level product. This car would be like BMW putting the M3's (or better yet, the upcoming F10-based M5's twin turbo V8) engine into the 1-series performance wise. Don't forget Audi's S4 firebreather. Not really into Audi's predominantly FWD/AWD lineup myself, but you can't go wrong with an Audi for getting a good value on another German automobile.

Just keep at least one Bimmer in your garage to keep the rest of us from thinking you have completely defected over to the "enemy."

03BeastCharmer

From what I have read, the M3 Sedan hasn't been selling, which is why they are not intending to make the sedan version of the next M3. Your fellow car nuts are speaking with their dollars, and they are saying they don't want the sedan.

On topic, I'm surprised you can't get that color as an individual color. That just seems silly.

Llansley737

I'll always be a BMW fan.

There will be at least one. Just bought a 2010 328i with M Sports Package for my Girlfriend and sold two older, mint E36 M3's in anticipation of making room for a brand new E92 M3.

Always wanted to buy a brand new M3 and do the European Delivery as part of the experience. Finally financially able to do it after all these decades of waiting. Looking for every reason/excuse to make the next one a E92 M3.

Yes, it does seems silly that BMW won't even let you pay an extra $5,000.00 for the color you really want... actually, the color they debut the car in for the new US Competition Package.

We're talking about a 70K car with a $1,300 gas guzzler tax, but perhaps M3's are flying off dealership parking lots in record numbers these days.

BMW is sadly helping to make the decision to consider the offerings from Mercedes and Porsche a first for me after all these years.

I've waited this long, so I'll delay the decision a little longer to see if BMW is willing to bend. Seems we are expected to have to lobby and beg before BMW is convinced we really want something. Not sure that's the best approach, but maybe I don't have the big picture! :confused:

az3579

That really is too bad, because the sedan is a lot more useful than the coupe.

And in my opinion looks better, but that's just me.
    Either way, not having an M3 sedan in the lineup leaves a huge gap and that gap will the start of a loss of customers to go to Audi's or Mercedes' offerings for the 4-door car that belongs in said gap. They don't sell many X6M's, either, but they still sell those. So why not the M3 sedan? Seriously?

Llansley737

Check Out "FROZEN GREY" E92 M3 on the internet!

UK model!

When do we get this..., or ANY "M" specific colors in the US?

Anyone???

mtrois

...according to Larry Koch, M brand manager, at the NY autoshow last Saturday, we should not worry about not having a sedan in the lineup of the next gen of M3. :cool: