Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

MomoZ3

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by MomoZ3, Mar 21, 2010.

MomoZ3 guest

Want to put Angel Eyes on my Z3. My son says he will do it for me. Would that be asking too much of him? He is VERY good at this kind of thing but I don't want to tie him up for an entire weekend (he has 4 children, new house, you get the picture).

tiFreak

shouldn't take more than a couple hours assuming nothing serious goes wrong
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Don't buy cheap crap or you will regret it.

MomoZ3 guest

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along to my son and let him decide if he has the time. (Pretty sure he will do it for me.)

MomoZ3 guest

M

Thanks for the tip. My son is going to get what I need and I know I can count on him to get the right items. I'll let you know how it goes.

willconltd guest

This is a very daunting task to say the least. The headlights for the Z3 need to be placed in an oven to soften the glue that holds the housings together, then they can be seperated and retrofitted with angel eyes. Several companies sell kits for the conversion, but none of them tell you how much work it is. When you can buy Ebay replacement lights with angel eyes for around $200 plus shipping, maybe you should consider that route before modifying your lights.

If something were to happen to them, replacements would run you $700-1000 (63128386047&63128386048 $430.96 each) for a set.

bcweir

I should also tell you that the Z3 headlights are fairly unique.

The actual headlight units themselves are not shared with any other model.

First of all, if you don't have lots of experience modifying these housings, it's best to have the work done by someone who has this sort of work under their belt a few times.

Even better, experiment on a set of junkyard housings instead of potentially ruining yours if mistakes are made. You can always put your factory lights back in place quickly if a problem arises.

Stay away from the Chinese-made, fly-by-night crap, or you may find yourself without working headlights after six months (highly unsafe and inconvenient if they fail at night while you're driving the car). Some of these also use inferior housings that fog or leak.

I have seen some users modify theirs by doing surgery on the housings to use junkyard Hella filaments, harnesses and ballasts from E38's and E39's. The Hella parts are a lot more expensive, but also a lot more reliable than the Chinese stuff being sold by everybody and their brother on Ebay.

willconltd guest

I agree that the Ebay stuff is not the highest quality, however, reinstalling the original headlights will take about an hour, maybe less. This is just to see if he likes it.

However, if you are set on installing the Angel Eyes yourself, you can follow these directions:

http://www.rfdm.com/ProjectorZ/docs/ProjectorZInstructions.pdf

The hella conversions you are referring to are the Original Projector Z. The Chinese lights on Ebay are imitating this conversion. It was not for the feint of heart.

Here is Daniels write up on the Original Projector Z install:

http://www.rfdm.com/ProjectorZ/index.html

Here are some pics of my Projector Z Install. I was very happy with the way they turned out, but it took considerable time and effort to get them this way. I also did the install in a set of new headlights.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I found direcitons for the PZ2 which is pretty much what they sell on Ebay for $200.

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/lighting-diys/9086-projector-z-install-guide-version2.html

bcweir

Those came out really NICE!

Very good job!

Zeichen311

Eight-month-old thread and the OP hasn't posted since...I have a feeling the job's long done and he's long gone. ;)

Here's hoping the new info will be useful to others, though.

Edit: Ditto to "nice work" on the headlights!

willconltd guest

Yeah, I figured that most of the original posters don't care anymore, however I am answering most of these questions for archival value in case someone searches in the future.