Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Click but no start

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by Shawn Ryan, Mar 18, 2010.

Shawn Ryan guest

So I went out to start my 2001 325i today. I have full power but it won turn over, it just starts clicking and all the lights start flashing with the clicks. Plus my head lights automatically come on when I turn the key, I have never noticed that before. I have cleaned the battery post and tried to jump start the car. so I have no clue whats wrong.. Help.
    Thanks
    Shawn Ryan

ForcedInduction guest

Welcome to the forum!

It could be any number of things but if the instrument lights flash when attempting to crank, it may actually be a bad or almost dead battery? The lights can still light with a bad battery until you apply enough load to the battery, which would be the starter motor. The clicking is typically the started solenoid trying to engage but it sounds like there is not sufficient battery power to hold it engaged and turn the engine over.

CRKrieger

Sounds like a dead battery to me. Not that that's the primary cause - it could be something else killing the battery, but you can't figure that out until the battery is fully charged and the car's running.

Shawn Ryan guest

Thanks,
    I was just worried it was something worse. I went out and got a new battery, and that worked. Now I just hope its not my alternator.

Thanks for your help.
    Shawn

tiFreak

do you have a multimeter? if you do, test voltage at the battery terminals with the car running, it should be about 14 volts if the alternator is charging properly, any less and the alternator needs to be replaced

CRKrieger

+1! Now that you've eliminated the simple, obvious thing, check to see if it was something else that took it down.