Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

damage from being clipped while parked

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by lodes17, Feb 28, 2010.

lodes17

Another car coming from my rear, clipped my front bumber. The bumper has a nasty gouge and the
    grill sheet metal is bent out of shape. Of course the turn signal is about $50, what other damage should I look for and what is the cost of the repairs. I am bringing it into the AllState adjuster on Wednesday and I need to be prepared if I want my car fixed elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.....Mike

az3579

I just looked on eBay and the first 10 I found were all under $20.

lodes17

az3579.................Thanks, that saves me $30, I entend on doing the repairs myself. Paint is going to be the hard part.

Mike

tiFreak

MGarrison

Before showing it to Allstate or any claims adjuster, (if I were in your situation), I would get an estimate from a body shop that specializes in BMW's, or at least German cars, which would be the shop I would choose IF I were to have a shop do the repair. THEN I'd let Allstate see the car, and if the claims adjuster won't let you observe their appraisal, I would make sure the appraiser understands the fine points of the body shop's estimate by giving him/her a copy and discussing the things that weren't obvious at first glance. And if at all possible, compare & contrast as the appraiser goes through the process, or try to insist on meeting afterwards to immediately compare and discuss the estimates and differences.

It might be a big assumption, but I would tend to think that to a claims adjuster whose job it is all day, every day, day-in-&-day-out to estimate collision damage, the level of interest specifically in your car is about as deep as the average H.R. manager's in the 5-foot tall stack of resumés that piles up on their desk every day after they post an ad for a job position... at least lately.

CRKrieger

It's only an "upgrade" if it's better. This is merely 'different'.

FWIW, I think clear corner lamp lenses on a red car constitutes major suckage.

lodes17

damage management

Thanks for the replies and help.
    I do agree the grill panel can be straightened.
    The bumper gouge is probably fillable also.
    Paint is a problem that I can hire out and leave the parts at a shop.

I pull my car behind my motorhome using a tow dolly and a bumper upgrade
    probably would make clearance a disaster. I do like the clear turn signal lights.

And another estimate is a suggestion that I will get done today. Thinking the shops are as
    described, not to interested in my prize.

Mike

lodes17

nearing endzone

ALLSTATE did their estimate and cut a check for $808. I tried two other shops and couldn't get a quote, both just wanted the check and could do the repairs for the amount. A third will do painting for $300 if I bring in the bumper and grill sheet metal.
    This afternoon in the warmth of our sun, I removed the bumper and straightened the grill and bumper supports. So, I have looked at the door jamb for paint code and can't find it. MFG in Germany. I think its Calypso Red? What code should I see? I am going to spray the bumper and clear coat it myself.
    Also, the turn signal replacement will be origional color...red.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

az3579

Look for the paint code on a sticker on the driver's side shock tower in the engine bay.
    I can tell you though that is definitely not Calypso Red.

tiFreak

yeah, Calypso is slightly orange and metallic, looks like Hellrot to me

lodes17

Hellrot it is

Right in my face and I was looking for a set of numbers.

Mike

az3579

Well, the "numbers" you are looking for are under the name:
    Paint code 314.