Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Another new guy

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jeanm, Feb 22, 2010.

jeanm guest

Hello,

Just joined, been a long time scca member and decided to join bmwcca as well.

Have "335i" e30 with a m30b35 drivetrain. Also work on my brothers e39 540i when it needs some tlc heh.

I am in Sacramento, CA...looking forward to bmw cca autocross events in the future.

Jean

tiFreak

welcome, sounds like a pretty cool swap, any pics?

granthr

Welcome! That is a classic swap!! :D Alpina and Hartge were doing those back in the day. Did you move the intake to keep it on the drivers side? Show some pictures!

jeanm guest

It's an 84, started as a 318i. It has gone through a couple changes over the years, lots of maint. and upgrades, then a full season and a half of autocross, until the m10 couldn't take it anymore. I was going to replace it's head/gasket with a rebuilt head and then discovered the block was cracked around the head bolt areas. Then came the choice of doing the 24v swaps or doing a more "period correct" m30 swap. I picked up a 91 m30b35 out of a 735i, did a full rebuilt (new bearings,rings,gaskets, the whole 9 yards) and did the swap with a help of a friend over 2-3 days.

Pretty much everything has been upgraded and/or changed. One of the first things I've done was a front/rear disc brake swap/upgrade, then interior, exterior, drivetrain, lines, bushings, exhaust everything.

jeanm guest

For some reason I can't edit the previous post, lets try this again

[IMG]

When it had plastic bumpers, 500front/650rear coilovers, on 195 rt 615 street tires.

[IMG]

granthr

Wow!!! Great looking car! I did the 325 brake upgrade on my 84 318i as well (front and rear). It is running H&R sport springs and sway bars with Bilstein sport shocks/stuts. The motor is untouched, but it only has 76,000 miles. It is such a light car and is a blast to run through the corners. I also swapped out the interior to a black leather sport interior from the beige vinyl it had. It also has a Zender/BBS front spoiler.

What did you do with those euro bumpers? Do you still have them? Would you be interested in selling? PM me if you are!!!! :D

jeanm guest

Thanks! You are right, the early 318 cars are light, it was like a Miata in sense that you just almost keep it at WOT at all times in Solo2. After I finished the swap I took the car to a local race shop and they put it on race/corner weight scales, w/o spare tire/jack/ac compressor and with half a tank of gas it's at exactly 2500lb.

LF 703 RF 741
    LR 530 RR 526

It still has full interior and stereo. I do need to relocate the battery to the trunk, since it's an early 318 the trunk is different as well so I'll have to put the batter behind the rear seat or use a very small battery.

It's currently on Bilstein sports and H&R Sports like yours, I will soon be selling them to switch back to coilovers but I'll go with Koni this time around. The euro bumpers are currently on the car, they replaced the plastic bumper conversion.

Eventually oem m-tech I kit will be installed, as it looks somewhat incomplete w/o it.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I installed a late model cluster with my swap, wired in check engine light for california bar/carb inspection, and added a map light mirror to have some additional light.

[IMG]

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the funhouse!

Mannn, you're going to have to drive to Seattle for the next E30 Picnic!

I always envy other E30 grunions because we iX-Afflicted souls have so much difficulty fitting bigger BRAKES on our cars. . . which in my case might be useful, what with 350-some-odd horsepuppies under the hood. . .

Anybody know when the E30 Picnic is this year?

granthr

The M-Tech I kits are great. I really like the front spoiler. Let me know if you ever get rid of the euro bumpers! :)

2,500lbs is awesome. I know BMW quoted the early US 318i as 2,360 lbs. That is probably dry.