Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

old member new to forum

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by tobeto87, Feb 22, 2010.

tobeto87 guest

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, long time member. I live in the Denver area and have had BMWs in my life for many years. The 2002 and M3 don't see the light of day much in the winter months and I am actively looking to replace my current dailey driver with a '91 318is. If anyone knows of a rust free, good example that is for sale please let me know. The '89 ix is an automatic that belonged to my daughter and I just can not bring myself to drive anything that does not have a clutch. The BMW forums have a wealth of information that I have been accessing for years, however I have recently decided to take the plunge and become an active participant.

granthr

Welcome!! :D Keep the 325ix and drop a manual trans in it. That is what I did with my ix and it is a blast to drive with the 4:10 diffs. :D

TeamStowell We love driving!

Welcome!

Great to have you with us! With that garage I'm sure you will be helping many individuals with the experiences you have had.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the funhouse!

Do your cars really look like that, or are those just very old pictures?!

granthr

Satch I think those are recent photos. Just because you run 100 mph in the gravel doesn't mean we all do!! :D LOL

tobeto87 guest

recent photos

Yes Satch, those are relatively recent photos and that is how the cars really look. My son doesn't think I keep them clean enough so you can imagine what his cars look like. I think he is somewhat sick.
    The tii has been updated with a five speed and a limited slip diff as well as some engine mods and the M3 is basically stock with a euro spec 2.5l.

to all thanks for the welcome

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Of course you're welcome here!

Of course, we might not really LIKE you, Dave. . .

We may just be coveting your cars!

(I still remember one of my favorite school rides, instructing in a 2.5 with a close-ratio dog-leg box---suh-wheeeet! That was in Arizona. Can't remember whether it was a genuine EVO or not, but that was the PERFECT set-up!)

tobeto87 guest

question

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but I will. Is there anybody in the Rapid City SD area that would be willing to look at an E30 for me. I would be willing to pay any reasonable costs associated with this effort. I was negotitating for the purchase of this car, got lots of photos, fully understood the visual short comings of the car but got cold feet because I couldn't see, feel, or listen to it.
    thanks in advance for any input.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Since only 3% (very rough estimate) of the clubs members actually use this forum, you may want to contact the membership chair contact for the area you are looking for. Just plug in the zip code under the BMW CCA - Chapters - Chapter Finder tab located above and they may be able to assist you.

Good luck and thanks for posting those great photos!

granthr

+1 I got my M3 from Hawaii, the local chapter president at the time was very helpful in giving me references, etc.

CRKrieger

Yeah, but the longest road in Hawaii is only 100 miles long. Rapid City is probably at least 200 miles away from the next closest BMW CCA member! I know Russ Wiles is from SD, but he's in Sioux Falls - 5 hours away. Still, ya never know. I'd at least ask him.

granthr

Exactly!!! And that is why my M3 only 66k on it when I bought it!!! :D

tobeto87 guest

thanks

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have contacted the local Chapter president to see if there are any members in Rapid City, I know there is only one shop that says they work exclusively on foreign cars, so who knows.
    Grant, your M3 is beautiful, what wheels do you have on the car, they look great.

granthr

I am guessing you will be able to find someone to check on the car. Or at least give a reference on where the car was serviced.

Thanks for the compliment. I have vintage BBS RS rims on my M3. They are 16x8 with an ET 20 on all four. This is the proper arrangement for BBS RS rims on an M3. There are others out there so be careful.

SBrasesco

A Little off Topic....

Would you be willing to part with your E30M3???....I NEED to get back into one.....a mid-life thingy my wife says I'm going through!..
    Welcome to the Forum!!
    S

granthr

Sorry, mine will never be for sale. :cool: It was my first BMW and it will be my last.

SBrasesco

I hear you....my 89 E30 was my first as well.....but I could not afford the E36 M3 w/out selling the E30.
    As I was signing the papers I knew I was making a mistake....
    finding the "right" one is getting harder and harder....enjoy the mighty S14!!!
    Regards

granthr

I can understand the attraction to the E36 M3, that is a great car too. But it is amazing how connected you feel in an E30 M3. My wifes E36, while not an M3, is great at eating up the miles, but is such a heaver car. Just does not have the same feel and it does have a Dinan S2 suspension.

There are still great E30 M3s out there, but you do have to look long and hard and they won't be cheap anymore.

SBrasesco

Hey Cheap does not bother me....we have BMW's...LOL....Break My Wallet...
    It is tough finding good clean examples....I would part w/25k for a good car w/service records etc.
    I agree on the handling aspect...you felt like you were in a Go-cart w/these cars....my e36 just felt heavier..though honestly each version from a performance stand-point was better than the last...
    Enjoy your Car!

granthr

True!! :D

It will take about $20 to $25K to find a decent one anymore. Check these guys out, they always seem to have one or two for sale. I have an acquaintance who bought an E30 M3 from these guys and is happy with it. The car was what they said it would be.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?...68[0]=1&selLevel_1268[1]=6&1574_0=1&x=13&y=14

I can't wait till spring to get mine out of mothballs. It has been too long since I have driven it! :(