Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

225/50-15 tires on an E30?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by granthr, Feb 17, 2010.

granthr

I know this has been asked before, but I am going to ask again anyway.

Does anyone have experience running 225/50-15 sized tires on a lowered E30 325ix? Now the ix has slightly flared fenders compared to the regular E30. I think this would be a pretty cool set up if it would fit. I do not want to make a fender modifications. Any input or opinions would be appreciated.

dogsbark26

I don't believe iX fenders are actually flared. They are the same part as any e30 with "flares" bolted on.

MGarrison

I had to roll the fender lips on my 325is with Eibach springs and Dinan camber plates, about 2.7-2.8 degress neg. camber, I forget wheel offset at the moment without going and looking.

Don't know how well that compares to ix clearances etc., which may well be totally different. I think ix's require different offset wheels from other e30's, for instance.

http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=467

http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4823

granthr

I think you are right.

MGarrison, thanks for the link to these threads. I think they have brought me back to my senses. I am just going to run 205/55s on my stock 15 inch rims. Was hoping for the fat tire look, but it really doesn't make sense and I don't want rubbing issues.

az3579

My summer set involves rears with a 225/50-15 size, no rubbing in the rear. Non-IX of course...

Brian A

No, no, no!!!

Go for the 225/50R15s!

... we all want them on our cars so want to see if someone else can make them fit! ;)

az3579

I second this motion!
    Why do you have to have an ix with all this weird fitment stuff??? :p

MGarrison

I opted for 225's ages ago to fit the widest tire I reasonably could for driver's schools (at the expense of cracking the paint off the front fender lips when rolling them). Unless you're racing, auto-xing, or doing track events, your opportunities to safely explore their handling limits on the street are truly limited, and, in a sense, never "safe" (know any entrance or exit ramps featuring a tire barrier, for instance?). So, on-street, except for looks, the only particular advantage that comes to mind might be having a slightly larger lateral grip envelope that could be available in some emergency maneuver. And all that's a moot point if you aren't capable of exploiting that envelope to it's fullest extent while still keeping the car in control.

And Botond - 225's only in the rear? What, you like understeer or something? :p

az3579

The tires are new Bridgestone something-or-other tires that came brand new with my NEW set of Ronal LS wheels that I got for a STEAL, so I'm not complaining!
    Besides, the extra understeer won't really be a problem for me now with a lot more rear-sliding potential installed. :D

granthr

Well guys, I would love to be your guinea pig, but not at the expense of my front fenders! :) 225 would be great, but I only have an M20 and I don't think I would benefit, other than the looks. Unfortunately since the car is 4wd I don't want to run the risk of damaging my transfer case with a staggered set up either (slightly different circumference). 225s fit fine on my E30 M3 though (just in case you were wondering)! :D

So 205/55-15 it is, which is very wide compared to my 185 snow tires! Now I just have to figure out which tire, something from the tire rack and less than $100/tire. I am leaning towards a high performance summer, even though I know I will wear through them quicker than a high performance no season.

CRKrieger

You can do worse than Sumitomos. They're dirt cheap, wear fast, and have an amazing level of stiction. :D

az3579

+1. My first set of tires, and lasted only maybe year.

tiFreak

+2, my dad has a set on his M3