Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Strange Electrical Issues After Dead Battery and Jump

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by tock172, Feb 11, 2010.

tock172

Yesterday I ran the battery down trying to start my '88 535i in the morning when it was cold and did not want to run. That afternoon, I jump it from another car and after a few minutes she fired right up. However, now my radio, tach [along with several other gauges] windows and a few other things are not working. My locks, and lights, however, still work fine. I checked all the fuses, and all are good.

Any ideas what this might be or what I might try to fix this problem?

ForcedInduction guest

I've seen electrical feedback when cranking on an almost dead battery kill instruments. I don't know if that is the case in your situation but it might be?

tock172

Today I swapped in a newer battery and she fired right up with no problems. I also reseated the fuses and everything came to life with no issues. Very strange, I guess eating the fuses for the 4th did it?

Johan guest

I had always heard that low voltage will cause strange things to happen to things like gauges and things. If the battery is weak there will be a reason even if it is just old age. I would think the new battery would be the fix. How are your grounds? I know I have seen strange things happen on my 95 540i with the problem being ground straps that had broken insulation on them. This caused more resistance and that caused strange and wondrous things to happen. Replacement of bad grounds fixed it for me.
    Johan

tock172

The battery being old, having garbage all over the terminals, and the fuses not making good contact were the culprits. She runs fine now with only a few warning lights that man nothing anyway :D