Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X-5 Nav System

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by jcewarthog, Feb 11, 2010.

jcewarthog

The DVD nav system on my 2008 X-5 4.8 failed and must be replaced. Can the hard-drive based nav systems used in 2009 and later x-5s be installed as a substitute? If not, why not?
    jcewarthog

mose121 guest

No.

Because no dealer will ever do it for you. Buy a 64 GB flash drive and save yourself the $$$ and trouble.

Isn't the nav under warranty? Unless you're over say 100k miles I would be calling BMW for goodwill replacement. A nav system should not fail in two years, even if it was used for 2 years straight!

jcewarthog

Mose121 - Thanks!:)

bl335i08 guest

Hey guys, I'm missing something here. So buy the flash drive and do what? Can you run navigation software from your flash drive?

mose121 guest

If you have the usb input you can use a flash drive for music. I believe there is an 8gb limit on the amount of music you can store on the new hard drive systems, which I can fill up in no time. So instead you can use a 64gb flash drive and hold 64gb of music that you can access via iDrive. There really isn't much of an advantage to the hard drive navi system other than the screen/interface. I thought he wanted the HD for music playing purposes, thus the reason for my response.