Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cost to replace wheel bearings

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by lafemina, Feb 9, 2010.

lafemina guest

Im looking at a 97 M3, and am being told by the seller all four wheel bearings need replaced....can anyone ballpark what this will cost so I can factor that into the purchase decision? Thanks! Jim

John in VA

Don't know about labor but for parts:
    Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com) wants $180.44 each for front hub/bearings ($225.55 list), and $68.00 ($85.00 list) each for the rear.
    Pelicanparts.com and autohausaz.com want $94 for the SKF/Koyo front bearings (each), and ~$50 each for the FAG rear.
    Check this lik to help determine labor charges: http://repairpal.com/

lodes17

rear wheel bearings

My shop wanted 3.5 hours labor for one rear wheel bearing + parts. $90/hr. My son helped me and we did the job, We had to drop the cast arm and disconnect the emergency brake to get it out...............6 hours and a friend pressed in the bearing for $30.
    Try doing the job yourself.

Mike

lafemina guest

Thanks - what about driving the car until the job is done? Dangerous, risky? Or drive straight to the shop?

lafemina guest

Thanks John - Is this a "do it immediately" problem? Take it straight to the shop after purchase...?

Jim

lodes17

rear wheel bearing

I drove another 40 miles after a shop told me the cost, but that really pushed the envelope. Some of the bearings really fell out when i took it apart. I had to pull the full arm off to get the assembly apart. So, do it soon. Its not a job to do if your out in the weather.