Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

19' wheel upgrade sizing

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 176391, Feb 6, 2010.

Hi,

I have a E92 335i and am considering upgrading to 19" wheels. I would prefer to go with 235/35-19 at all 4 corners to ensure the ride is not very hard. The OEM set has 235/35-19/front and 265/30-19/backs. Any problems with the setup mentioned?

Many thanks.

pseto

either setup should be fine. i'm running a lot more aggressive 285 in the rear

alloy guest

My 2008 E93 335i has 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 on 230 style wheels (stock Bridgestone rft's). You say the oem set up comes 235 and 265?

ilia

235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 is the best size when going to 19's. It should fit without rubbing... if your wheels have the correct offsets that is.

John in VA

How do you not have a "hard ride" with 30- & 35-series aspect ratios?

bcweir

I'm not sure he understands the effect of tire sizes on ride quality

How can you say you are considering "upgrading to 19 inch wheels" when 19-inch wheels is what you already have, according to your own quote?

Decreasing the profile size means you are decreasing the height of the sidewalls between the rim and road surface. This is going to harden your ride, not soften it.

You also have another issue. If you change your profile by more than five points, you're going to be affecting your speedometer reading unless you adjust your tire and wheel size accordingly. It's called the Plus One and Plus Two system of tire sizing. For every one inch increase in wheel size, you want to decrease your profile by 10 points. This way your overall wheel and tire size will remain the same. The reverse is true also -- decrease your tire size and increase your profile size by the same ratio.

If you decrease your wheel size and increase your profile, this will soften your ride.

tiFreak

he's probably getting an aftermarket set of rims

bcweir

How unfortunate. Hope it's a high quality vendor.

Back before BMW started fitting mandatory "run-flats" on all of their new cars, I've always felt BMW made superior quality wheels. I can say the same for such manufacturers as Alpina, BBS, and Hamann.

I just hope he doesn't cheap out with a set of cheap auto parts store rims. I've never been very keen on those.

PhillyNate

I am running 225 35 19 in front and 275 30 19 in back with M6 replicas ET 38 on my 328i coupe. I am extremely happy with ride quality and handling. I have been running this setup for 2 years with go-flat tires. General Exclaim UHP's.

bcweir

Ride quality is very subjective to one's own taste. Kind of like asking "best color?"

What might be a "comfortable" ride to you may be "too hard" for someone else. Run flats (by design) have very stiff, strong sidewalls. More road imperfections will be transmitted to the shocks and the rest of the body structure than with conventional, non-run flat tires.

Since the OP had already expressed a concern about ride hardness, and their comfort threshhold is likely to be very different from yours, I am skeptical that runflats are the appropriate direction for the OP to go in.