Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Old-school maintenance

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by tgerrity, Feb 6, 2010.

tgerrity

I sent an e-mail to techtalk@roundel.org, requesting a copy of the old-school maintenance document. It was immediately sent back to me, rejected as spam. The rejection mentioned that I might send something to postmaster@roundel.org to straighten out the misunderstanding (in my mind, my address and the model, year, and mileage on my car hardly qualifies as spam, but what do I know?). So I forwarded the request to postmaster@roundel.com. My message was immediately rejected because I'm a "user unknown." Presumably one has to register with postmaster@roundel.org in order to send e-mail to postmaster@roundel.org; registration undoubtedly required via e-mail, thus qualifying as a Catch 22.

So, does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of Mike's Old-school Maintenance doc without fighting my way through the idiot computer "protecting" roundel.org?

And yes, I know that computers only reflect the characteristics of those that program them, but I'm trying not to burn any bridges, here...

BIMMIR guest

granthr

+1 and be sure to give your full name, city, and state otherwise no response will be given. Just read the top of tech talk for how to ask questions.

tgerrity

Thanks, gents!

Mike Miller

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to clear up the name and town thing. I reply to every Tech Talk question including those with incomplete information. In the era of 50+ questions per day I no longer have time to bounce back e-mails for not including name and town. Instead, that just means the letter won't be published.

The "correct" way is to simply include your name and town at the end of your e-mail the way you see it under every Tech Talk question published in Roundel.

The BMW CCA server forwards all e-mail sent to techtalk@roundel.org to me at auspuf2002@aol.com. It doesn't matter which one you use. And yes, sometimes the server does screw up.

granthr

Hello Mike Welcome to the BMW CCA Forums!!!!!! Now how about some pics of your 2002, E21, and of your old 318is!!!! :D

Thanks for all the help you have provide me over the years! :D

Mike Miller

Pics

Sure, here you go.

The 320i photo is current. The car should be on the road this summer after a full ground up restoration. Reassembly is proceeding here at the Tech Talk garage.

The 318is was sold to a Club member in Austin, Texas, who then sold it to a member in Kentucky. Still running strong as far as I know, probably about 220,000 miles by now.

The 2002 photo was shot in July 2009. I don't have anything more current but the little fella is progressing.

This shot of the E46 coupe is from California, after it was Dinanized...

granthr

Great Photos! Wow, I didn't realize you are restoring both the 2002 and the E21, at the same time none the less! :) I really like your 318is, those wheels look great on it.

Mike Miller

Actually the 2002 is at Vintage Sports & Restoration in Bow, NH. That car was sitting outside at my friend's shop in Vermont from 1995 to 2001, it was disintegrating and a decision had to be made. I had the 320i restoration going on here without room for two disassembled cars. But that car had served me so faithfully and reliably I couldn't let him go. Most reliable BMW I've ever owned. So, Mario at VSR came and trailered the car back to his shop and did the work.

Those wheels on the 318is are Borbet Type C, 17x7.5-inch, correct fitment for the E30 with no spacers. Tires were 215/40-17, They did look good but frankly I couldn't stand driving the car with them -- cornering was markedly improved but it rode like a dump truck and tramlined all over the road. The only reason I bought those wheels was to test tires that aren't available in smaller sizes. I very much preferred driving the car with the stock 14x6.5-inch wheels and 205/60-14 tires. Generally speaking I loathe low-profile tires. That's why the 2002 and 320i wear 13-inch wheels and 185/70-13 tires.

granthr

I myself am not a big fan of 17s on an E30 either. I run 205/55-15s on two of mine and 225/45-16s on my E30 M3.

I understand not getting rid of a car. I have kept my 318i, it is in just too good condition to let go of, only 76K and it is an 84. :D Besides shouldn't everyone own at least one M10!

330indy1

the many benefits of "new school" maintenance

an M54 oil pan with 15k OCIs. (new school means low/no maintenance)
    The engine was choked by oil/"petro-lock" in the cylinders when the crankcase ventilation system failed. ...lack of reasonable oil changes and the resulting sludge and gunk have destroyed these engines.
    I took this picture at my indy shop yesterday. It came out of an X5.
    (sorry--it was an iPhone)
    [IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [IMG][/URL][/IMG]

tiFreak

just needs a little Engine Restore is all :D

wow. disturbing.