Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

535 is

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by David H Panzera, Apr 5, 2008.

David H Panzera guest

Does anyone know what the original sticker price was for a 1987 BMW 535 is 5 speed? Also. how about a 528 e

eds87bmw535is guest

I found this on http://www1.epinions.com/auto_Make-1987_BMW_5_Series/display_~full_specs

Key Features
    Model 5 Series
    Year 1987
    Engine Size 2.7L - 6 Cylinders • 3.4L - 6 Cylinders
    Seating Capacity 5 Seats
    Fuel Type Gasoline
    Style Luxury
    Class Luxury
    Pricing
    Original List Price $28,330 - $35,200 (Update Date: 16-OCT-03)
    Current Retail Price $3,490 - $4,472
    Current Wholesale Price $1,576 - $2,280 (Update Date: 16-OCT-03)
    Miscellaneous
    Available Models 535 is 4 Dr Sedan, 535 i 4 Dr Sedan, 528 e 4 Dr Sedan
    Product ID 21653276

ed

lro51 guest

I am brand new. In fact I just joined about 2 minutes ago. In February I purchased a 1987 535is and I love this car. My experience level is just what little work I have had to do on the car, what I have read over the past few months and most importantly what I have picked up from the generous folks like yourself who are willing to take the time and make the effort to discuss their problems as well as their solutions, their failures and their successes, well, suffice it to say, the good the bad and even the very ugly of BMW ownership, all online . I just acquired a Bentley repair manual and I picked up a Haynes manual for $5.00 at a library book sale. I sure do need an owners manual though. My only other car experience is with a 1971 Camaro RS/SS which I bought new (in 1970) and I am in the finishing stages of a complete body off restoration. Even though I have all of the original equipment, down to a dried up bottle of Tuxedo Black touch up paint, I have replaced the engine, adding a 400hp 454 fuel injected model which necessitated a cowl induction for the hood. I had a complete new hood built in order to maintain the integrity of the original one and of coarse I have kept the original engine stock. I mention these facts only to serve as an example of my tendencies to keep cars as original as possible. I also have a 1989 V.W. Jetta GL, 2 stock Hondas, a 99 CRVand a 97 Civic EX Sedan and a pristine 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Barritz, inherited from my mother-in-law, that looks like it should be on the showroom floor of some Caddie dealership. Not sure what I am going to do with it.. Finally, this BMW is a whole new world to me and has become the love of my life. I look forward to receiving from, and hopefully in the near future giving feedback to, all you good people. lro51 in Oklahoma

jimoreno

Congratulations on your acquisition! I got mine last August (2007) ans have been slowly fixing little things here and there. This website, www.mye28.com has a TON of information and its dedicated to our cars. Now all we have to do is drive it and enjoy it!

Johnnye23 guest

I would suggest buying a Bentley manual for repairing your new purchase.Haynes does not even compare IMHO.

lro51 guest

Thanks for responding to this "new kid on the block" as far as BMW ownership is concerned. I have purchased a Bentley Manual for my '87 535is. Following the advice of a V.W. technician I purchased one about 7 years ago for my 89 Jetta GL and have found it to be invaluable for that car and I expect to have the same results with the BMW Bentley Manual as well. As mentioned, I picked up a Haynes Manual but only because I was able to get it very cheap (I bought it along with several other books and if my memory serves me correctly I paid Less than $5 for it.) and I used it mainly to find out the specifications. I don't suspect it will get much use since I received the Bentley Manual. I am getting ready to order some parts in the next few days and I see where Bavarian Autosport has some reprints of official BMW Owners Manuals in stock. I am planning on ordering one. I can't set the clock and am hoping that the owners manual has some decent info concerning the OBC and will be beneficial in helping me become more familiar with the BMW overall.

Johnnye23 guest

MGarrison

hmm... setting the clock - if it's like the one in my E30, take something w/ a very small, fine point - and you'll see there's a very small hole on the face of the OBC - that's the set pushbutton. With the clock display showing, press it, then use the 1000, 100, 10, 1 keys to enter the time; same procedure for the date. That's from memory and it's been awhile, but I think that'll get you there.

Johnnye23 guest

lro51 guest

Clock setting tip

Thanks so much for the clock setting tip. I have been looking at that damned OBC on and off since February and honestly have never even noticed that small hole that you referred to. I tried setting the clock per your instructions a few minutes ago and your advice was right on. It is working like a charm so thanks again for the info. lro51

murfinator guest

X 2 on procurement of a Bentley manual and also regarding the plethora of great info, parts and conversation at www.mye28.com

Both are a must for any e28 enthusiast. Also, OBC setup is covered very well in the original owners manual. These may be found in the glove box (maybe) or around the interior (more likely) in scrap yard vehicles. This is where I found mine. :eek:

CRKrieger

I may have a spare. Let me check. And if I forget to get back to you here, pop on over to MyE28.com where Johnny & I are major post whores. As you can see, I just joined this forum (although I'm on my fifth E28, fourth 535is, and have been a 'CCA member since 1985).

Johnnye23 guest

:)
    Good to see you here CR , and I like the picture of your new car .Are you going to be extra nice here ? Bawhahahahahaha . Johnny

wve28

I can tell he's trying extremely hard!

CRKrieger

Uh ... I guess I have to. It's moderated. And the mods will probably have a personal shot at me at O'Fest. Not that I've ever said anything that merits moderation ... :D

Chris535 guest

In Dec 86, I paid 36K

In december of 1986, I paid 36K for my 535IS ( 5 spd) off the lot, w 6 miles on the OD (Just paid $1600 for my 88 535IS... )....

wkohler

Here's a scan of two of my three window stickers:
    Click here!

The picture is huge, which is why I made it a link!

lro51 guest

I don't have a clue how I missed this post! However, it has almost been a month and I just saw it today for the first time and you have my apologies. In the meantime I have been able to contact the previous owner of my 535is, a lady who got the car in a divorce settlement I beleive. A friend of her's brokered the deal when I originally bought the car and I had never met or talked to her directly. I contacted her primarily to see if she had any additional keys for the car but also inquired as to whether she may have the owners manual or any other items relevant to the car. That contact has been over three weeks ago and I quess I need to try to contact her again since I haven't heard back from her. Anyway, if she does not have the manual I would happy to purchase one from you if you do have an extra. Again, sorry for the delay of my response. lro51 in Oklahoma