Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2010-m3

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by mchellas, Jan 31, 2010.

mchellas

I am a new M3 Coupe owner - Just picked it up 3 weeks ago, Le Mans Blue w/DCT. Waiting to get past 1200 mi so that I can drive it more aggressively. But, winter in mid-west in not the best time to pick up a M3 with 19-in performance tires. So, not driving much if there is snow. Any advice for snow driving?

tiFreak

just this, snow tires! a good set of Blizzaks or Hakk's will make a huge difference

MGarrison

ditto - I don't know what tires come stock, but I doubt they're geared towards all-season; probably more like high-performance summer - which means with the winter temps of teens, 20's-30's-40's, the colder it is the less stick you'll have. If you're going to drive it in the winter, then yes - get dedicated snow tires on all 4 corners, and if winter driving is the plan for the forseeable future, consider a set of wheels for the snows. Might seem like a chunk of change, but that's relative - if you have an accident because you're not on snows, the cost of repairs could easily exceed the cost for wheels/tires. The rationale for extra wheels is just that it's much quicker and easier to swap when the time comes, you can save yourself a visit to the shop if you're inclined to do it yourself (don't forget to properly torque the lug bolts to spec).

Tirerack.com is always a good place to shop.

Blizzaks are great tires, and particularly great for icy conditions, but the first part of their tread is a softer compound that will wear out faster, and the rest is a standard winter compound. If ice is less of an issue, you might get longer life from something else. Checking Tire Rack, it doesn't throw up anything winter for your 19" size, so I guess the first question is whether 18" rims fit on your car. The Rack shows a few tire options for the 18" dia.; might be worthwhile to have a conversation with a sales rep about options; looks like there's a lot more winter tires available if you ran the same size as the front all around for instance - The Tire Rack folks would likely have some insight if that would work acceptably or not. Michelin Alpins & Pilot Alpins have worked fine for me here in S.W. Ohio, where we usually get a few major winter snowfalls/storms in a winter, and ice sometimes is an issue, being this far south it's not uncommon for freezing rain/sleet but 50 miles north gets snow.

As for snow driving tips - Unless you're really, really, really good at oversteer recovery and catching skids/spins, I wouldn't turn off the traction control. Read up on driving technique, consider hitting up a safety school and any of the club's driver's schools; auto-x is also a good way to build car control skills. In the meantime, remember that you can still steer if the abs is engaged, always look where you want to go instead of where you _don't_ want to go, and that in low traction conditions, you have _very little_ lateral grip; which means get way slowed down for turns while you're still going straight, and don't expect any tires to be giving you much grip when turning. And pay attention to road conditions and temps so you don't get caught out. ;)

Zeichen311

Not all of them, anymore. Run-flat and H-rated (130mph) Blizzaks are constructed without the Multicell compound that gives such incredible ice traction. Instead they use a high-silica compound throughout the tread. The reason given is that the current compound can't stand up to the additional heat of high speeds or being driven while flat. "Current" to me implies they're working on it....

mchellas: The speed ratings reminded me: if you have a heavy foot, don't forget that winter boots will carry a lower speed rating than your summer tires. For example, standard Blizzaks are Q-rated (99 mph). Apart from that, I've found that "high performance" winter tires handle--and wear--much better on dry pavement, without giving up much in snow. Increases the fun-factor all around in the cold months. :)

zee4mike guest

Snow Tires

Got four Blizzaks (RFT) for winter driving in Chicago and drive Michelin Pilot Sports non RFT during the summer. Huge difference in winter with good grip for the Blizzaks, when even the lightest snow on the Michelins sends me slowly sliding down my driveway which is barely inclined.
    Bought a set of ASA wheels from Tire Rack for my winter tires. About $145 each, but it beats getting the tires re-mounted twice a year and is easier on the wheels.

rmbenn

Blizzaks for me also. I bought a second set of OEM 19" from another M3 owner to maintain the same look year round. I did not want to remount the tires on the same wheel 2x's a year. The Blizzaks have performed well in the few inches of snow I drove.