Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

UltraLuster

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by lex99m3, Jan 28, 2010.

lex99m3 guest

I have been using UltraLuster products for two years now and they are awesome... They have a tire/Trim treatment that works great on the engine compartment, Clabar, etc.
    www.bluegrasswaterless.com.

az3579

You don't happen to work or advertise for them, do you? That E36 M3 cabrio on their page looks an awful lot like yours, assuming the one in your avatar is yours. :)

bluewagon

Zeichen311

Five to ten percent kerosene by weight?:eek:
    To each is own, but that's not something I'd ever put on my paint.

Dmarque

I'm not sure why you would be put off by 10% kerosene as an ingredient. The finished product isn't even close to kerosene and has none of the properties of pure kerosene. Even diluted rattle snake venom is a wonder drug as an anti-biotic and source of protein and key amino acids.

So, while I haven't used the product as yet, I wouldn't discredit it on the basis of a small amount kerosene. While kerosene might not be a good food additive it has been useful for other purposes like providing light or heat. In this case a small amount apparently has been proven to be a useful ingredient in creating a waterless polishing product too.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Love that kerosene

And it HAS to be cheaper than zymol!!

:D

Dmarque

Hey Satch:

I was told some time ago that Zymol was sold to Simon/Johnson Wax or some US based conglomerate and that the Zymol formula was actually continued at a newly formed company named "Pinnacle". I'm sure I have the specifics wrong. Can you or ANYONE here clarify the story for me? I still have a fair quantity of Zymol that I've kept refrigerated for decades to use but would like to hear from someone who can clarify the facts behind the Zymol merger....

rspeser

I seem to remember over 50 years ago my Father found out that they washed fire engines with Kerosene. After that he would always add some to the wash water and always had the shiniest car around.

tiFreak

so they take a vehicle that is usually driven to be parked next to burning buildings and cover them in a flammable liquid??? :eek:

epbrown01

I can see that working with lacquer based paints, but not with modern water-based paints.

Zeichen311

That's the thinking behind my "not on my paint" remark. I expect about all kerosene would do is remove every trace of wax. While that's probably useful in an all-in-one product, which will lay down its own layer of protection as part of the treatment, such products as a class don't appeal to me.

Dmarque

Well, Kerosene is one thing....."Wet Paint" isn't kerosene now is it. Not sure why you continue to think that it is.

Zeichen311

Please read my posts carefully, I never said that it was. I pointed out that it contains kerosene, per the MSDS posted on their own website. The kerosene doesn't magically go away just because it's in a mixture. I later speculated as to why its properties might be useful in an all-in-one cleaner/protectant such as Wet Paint, but added that all-in-one products as a category are not to my liking for car care.

Frankly, I consider them all snake oils to varying degrees, prefer to avoid them and won't engage in pointless debate on the subject. (I have no opinion on the use of genuine snake oil as a paint treatment. ;))

Dmarque

"The kerosene doesn't magically go away just because it's in a mixture....."

uh, .........ya it does! It's no longer kerosene after they dilute it and add (count 'em) 35 more ingredients. At most it is diluted to 1/10th it's standard fare however the kerosene identity is ultimately much more compromised than that. While I prefer a simplified product on my car surface too I wouldn't discredit this one on the basis of the addition of one of the 35 ingredients in the same way that eating a blueberry pie is not the same as eating the raw egg you started the recipe with.

lex99m3 guest

I became a distributor to buy wholesale and we do some local car shows for fun, but I wouldn't use anything else on my vehicles..... It's awesome stuff... The Patterson Collection in Louisville uses it on their museum and show cars since I gave them a sample a year and a half ago. Happy to send a sample or two for those who would actually try it. Love to get feedback...

bluewagon

Ultra Lust

I would love to try Ultra Luster
    rodal6@verizon.net
    bluewagon

kkratoch

I would try it.....In the spring, of course. :)

lex99m3 guest