Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Finally going to Europe!

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by desmo, Jan 13, 2010.

desmo guest

Hello all. I will be arriving in Munich around March 24, 2010. I plan to spend a few days touring Welt and the BMW museum. Sadly, I won't be taking delivery of a new BMW. I would appreciate any advise on who could rent me a 1 or 3 series that I could drive to Nuremberg to drop off in a few days. Any suggested routes to Nuremberg would be appreciated!
    Thanks for reading!
    desmo

Brian A

Munich is an awesome city. (Have you been there before?)

Try to get into a factory tour. Here is my experience getting in:
    http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2715
    Try to call ahead and make a reservation. Persistence pays.

I know its sacrilige to say, but 'a few days' might be a bit much for the BMW complex. Two days would be more than enough for most people. Don't forget that there is a LOT more other technology-related stuff to do in Munich too.

The Deutsches Museum is awesome (personal favorites: the "History of Computers" , the "Aeronautics" and the "Musical Instruments" wings).
    http://www.deutsches-museum.de/index.php?L=1

"Transportation" has now moved to its new separate museum (Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum) (take the subway) and is quite good.
    http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/verkehrszentrum/information/

There is also so much other cultural stuff to do too. And beer!!!

Sorry I don't have any commentary on your "real" question on getting to The Ring. (...I just wanted to remind you of the factory tour and got carried away.)

desmo guest

It's gonna be fun!

Hi Brian,

Thanks much for the response to my post. I can't wait to get there. I enjoyed your photos very much. My ultimate destination is Prague, Czech Republic where my daughter will be spending a semester at Charles University. Since I will be so close to Munich, I decided to fly there, tour a bit and then rent a car to drive to Nuremberg. I'll take a train to Prague from there. Did you rent a car while in Germany?

I appreciate the advise about reservations. I'll look into it. The Deutsches Museum looks like a must see, as well.

Best regards,

Tim

aka, desmo

granthr

Sorry to be picky here, but I think you mean Nurburg, DE where the Nurburgring is. Nuremberg is another German city. :D

desmo guest

No time for the Ring

Hi Grant,

I wish I had time to visit Nurburg and possibly drive the famous Nurburgring. I have to catch a train from Nuremberg to Prague however to visit my daughter at University.

Regards,

Tim

Brian A

Car rentals are as easy as in the U.S. Lots of drop-off and pick-up points. For our German leg, we rented in Dubrovnik and drove it up through Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Austria before dropping off in Munich. Found our best deal through, ... drum roll please ... Hertz. European companies (e.g. Sixt) couldn't beat Hertz's overall price.

You probably discovered that renting in Germany and dropping off in Prague is problematic: not sure why but "drop fee" is huge (we're talkin' $k). I had to pay a $500 drop fee for Croatia/Germany, but was cheaper for us (family of 4) than trains. We tried to drop off in Prague but abandoned the idea due to the drop-off cost.

BTW, we did not see an inch of "no limit" Autobahn when in Germany. Was driving a putt-putt Opel anyway; wifie was at the wheel through Germany. Basically commuted straight to Munich from Austria border; dropped car at Munich train station Hertz.

... Got a BMW 320d manual on another leg from Florence to Rome though. (liked it, but would rather use money for travel) (1 M3 = 10 trips to Europe). Driving a brand new BMW in downtown Rome, now THAT was an experience!

Make sure you have a Budweiser in Prague.