Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New '05 Z4 Owner - Help, need advice...buyer's remorse

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by Synergy, Jan 11, 2010.

Synergy

We were in the market for a 135i when we spotted this silver Z4 on a lot and in typical knee jerk fashion changed our criteria on the fly.
    Just bought the Z4 yesterday after driving it off the lot in a perfect 50 degree day in Seattle. With Mt. Rainier in the background, who could resist a super clean, cared-for car with only 25k miles.
    Well, this morning, it is raining hard and I'm having buyer's remorse because in addition to the rain, my workplace has trees that spit sap in Spring, Summer and Fall. It's easy to forget those things when being romanced by a dream car.
    I read many of your very helpful forums on ragtop treatments and will purchase those products. I will hesitate on the car covers due to the challenge of keeping the car spotless to avoid scratches.
    What have other Western Washington Z4 ragtop owners done in the long term? I have a garage for the Z4. My commute is 30 miles round trip daily.
    I could use your advice about now.
    Thanks!
    (Our other car is an '09 X5.)

samiamtiggr

Z4 Remorse Advice

CONGRATULATIONS on your Z4! I had similar remorse right after placing my order back in 2007 for my Z4M :confused: - but I got over it when I first drove my car! After participating in all of the Performance Driving Schools at Spartanburg, I got involved in the local CCA Chapter here in Tidewater. From there I've been enjoying Car Control Clinics, High Performance Driving Events (HPDEs), and other wonderful drives. In addition, I have become involved with the CCA Special Interest Group "ZS CCA" and have had even MORE fun! You might consider joining these and see if your fun meter ever gets pegged! :eek:

About the top: I also ordered the factory Hard Top - use it in the winter months (JAN - MAR) here in VA ~ and at the track! Although rules are changing, I may have about one or two more years at a limited number of tracks to drive my roaster with the HT - none of them allow a rag top in a HPDE. I may just have to limit myself in the future to local CCCs. Oh well, such is life. I keep my car in a garage as well, and I use some of the same recommended compounds for rag top care. However, I 'do' use a cover - just not outside. If I'm in a parking garage or going to leave the car in my own garage for more than a week at a time, I will cover it. I have had no issues with brushing or scratching using the cover in these circumstances. Otherwise, I just 'clean' it (a bit) myself preiodically and get my favorite detail guy to 'do it right' about once every 6 to 10 weeks.

Trust me - stick with it and enjoy the fun! :D

Sam-I-Am

P.S. My other BMW is a 2004 X-5! I am thinking about trading up next year for an X5M! ;)

M3Driver guest

Not having a convertible I'm probably not that qualified to jump in but I'd spring for the hard top and, given the tree issues, get a high-end car cover. Just part of joys of ownership I guess, of a nice car...

Cheers...

epbrown01

BMW's product and RaggTopp both work well at repelling water and sap, and any good wax will protect against the latter. Relax and enjoy the car.

Synergy

What a great feeling

I really appreciate the responses and the support. I was not aware of the hardtop option and am now seeking prices from Bavaria. Yes, I'll stick with it. When it is clear in Seattle, the drive is heavenly and I've never owned a convertible to get that exhilirating experience. :D
    And, I've always wanted to join the CCA activities and now have a compelling reason to do so, especially if people like those on this forum participate.
    So, just finished up the Z4 purchase by trading in a 1997 Nissan Maxima. What a work horse. Got us through two kids with their highschool and college fender benders.

I need to get a good picture to post. I sure love the profile of this car. Look for it soon...after I get it detailed.

Thanks everyone!
    Cass

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Another possible solution

Somebody gave me what may be a solution to the tree-sap-at-work problem: It's a car cover just for the top of the Z4! Of course, a full car cover would work, but might be more of a hassle to put on and off.

And of course there's the chainsaw option. . . .

steveconnolly28 guest

Top Cover

Love your Z4. I bought my 3L Toledo Blue as a leftover in 2005. I immediately cleaned the top (the dealer did a crappy job) and purchased the top saver cover from Roadster solutions (go here: http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page62.html) best bucks I spent to keep the top clean in NJ. I live on the edge of the pine barrens near the shore (that means mucho sap and seagull droppings!) and this cover does the trick. Best 140 bucks I've spent. The car also has to live outside so during the snowy winter months and is under a BMW car cover as well. Both work well. The nice part about the top cover is it works top up or down (unless it's a torrential downpour, then the top should be up.) Anyway, follow the Ragg Top procedures to maintain the top and keep it covered when parked. My top still looks good as new 5 years down the road after 44,000 miles. Good Luck.

- Steve

BimmerBrad

Embrace the patina! Wallow in the road rash! BMWs are meant to be driven not molly-coddled. Sure, keep her clean and well nurtured. Massage her every weekend if you must, but brave the elements and take what comes. OCD is natural for us Bimmer owners, so you must learn to break free! Go to counseling, take some Xanax, whatever you need to be happy with the best (affordable) Roadster on the planet.

GSMetal

+1 - The above is PERFECT advise.

In addition to my E39 we have a VERY clean 1999 Chrysler Sebring convertible that we bought from an elderly couple 4 years ago. The car was mint when we bought it but like a lot of convertibles the interior is slowly getting sun faded - and that's OK with me. We stay on top of it as best with protectant spray, etc but we know its a convertible and meant to serve US - the owners.

Fun car - still looks great after 10 years.

So get out and enjoy the car and nice weather.

rtcZ4M guest

Great cars!! Keep a good coat of wax on it and let nature do what she may. +1 on the RaggTopp.

As for your commute: lose the runflat tires (if so equipped) and your ride quality will improve dramatically.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

So now that a couple of months have elapsed. . .

. . . how ya doin'?

rjmar55 guest

don' t use your beautiful, prestigious convertible for commuting, a car like the Z4 should be kept in the garage and when there is a beautiful 72 degree sunny Sunday pull it out, shine it up, call the babe and head out for gorgeous after noon drive and show off that beautiful car. if you need a commuter find you an older 3 Series Coupe hard top. People don't seem to see the Z4 for the car that it is, the Z4 is on the same level as a 69 Mustang or a 70 Cuda, believe me I get more looks and conversations than anybody that owns those kind of cars..........treat your Z4 better than a woman, Mother, or Wife because believe me I have had people compare my Z4 with a Z06 and mine stands out more.

CRKrieger

Ummm; I'm pretty sure the original poster is a woman, mother, and wife ...

Not to mention that the Z4 is no '69 Mustang or '70 Cuda. Not by a long shot.

eam3

You're joking, right?

Cars are meant to be driven. If the Z4 is so delicate, made of unobtainium and melts at the first drop of rain then fine, only drive it in perfect conditions. Otherwise, it's just a car. A regular production car that I see regularly on the road, not at Barrett-Jackson selling for artificially inflated prices.

MGarrison

Geez guys, kinda crucifyin' someone on their very first post on the forums is a bit overkill, ain't it? Give him a chance get used to the insanity before pitching the baby out with the bathwater - even if you disagree w/ his point of view, he's allowed to have it. How 'bout at least a 'welcome to the forums' before setting the blender on high and grabbing the shishkabob skewers, eh??

eam3

Welcome to the forums, now go drive that uber-exotic and rare Z4. :)

floydarogers

The OP's post was back in April, and the last post before today was in July - I'm not sure the OP really is waiting still.

IMHO, cars are meant to be driven - garage queens aren't something I want, or care to afford.

BimmerBrad

Took mine out in the rain today. My BAD!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah, lighten up, you guys!

You will note that I do not drive the roadster in the rain if I can help it, because I refuse to put the top up unless I'm about to drown in a cloudburst---hey, it rains on cows and they survive, so how bad could it be for Imola Red leather?---and the Z4 is a rather special privileged toy to many buyers. I say if you want to put it in your living room as sculpture, then go ahead!

Beyond the track-rat-versus-garage-queen debate, I like the sense of wonder that many of us feel at our good fortune in finding the car that just exactly fits our core definitions of what this BMW bidness is all about.

So drive it like ya stole it---or not!

:D :D :D

CRKrieger

Of course, you're right. Just goes to show you that I really pay no attention to how many posts anyone has; least of all me. So, welcome, new guy. Would love to hear your considered comparison of the Z4 to the '69 Mach I. First round of drinks is on you ... it's tradition. :D