Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Clear Auto Bra

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by jlwsbw, Dec 31, 2009.

elfhloa

After installation question....I'm supposed to use Plexus spray for the Ventureshield warranty..ok ordered a few cans.
    I use Zaino and "assume" it wouldn't hurt applying the Z2 polish over the clear bra ??

pseto

you can use whatever polish/sealants you want on the clear bra, just pretend its not there. it doesnt

pseto

you can use whatever polish/sealants you want on the clear bra, just pretend its not there. its designed to withstand anything that paint can. it even swirls like paint if you take it to a brush car wash

ckranert

Clear bra

I have placed this on our cars for the last several years. It is best to get the film applied to everything facing forward, in Florida anyway. It works perfectly, allows extra time to remove bugs and grime without the worry of damaging the paint. You have to be careful how hard you scrub it because it will scrape. I have also removed portions of it after several years and it came off easily with no damage to the car. 3M is the manufacturer I've used and recommend it.

528eta guest

If it gets scratchy, water spots, or dull you can use plastic polish.

ckranert

I'll try that, thanks!

jlwsbw

Good morning everyone. I spoke with my clear bra installer after all that i've learned from this thread and other research. He does also use Venture Shield for certain applications. He is also extremely skilled in doing full hood and full fenders. I am leaning towards full hood, but not too sure about the full fenders. Opinions? And of course the full bumper on the ZMP package is a no brainer. The price roughly doubled by going to a more extreme job, but Im sure its money well invested long term.

wretched

I would really like to see how it looks! Pics?!?

pseto

the full front fender is an absolute must IMO since it gets more rock chips than the hood. clear bras definitely aren't cheap, and obviously the more you cover, the more expensive. also, custom installs where they wrap the edges and cut their own sheets are even more expensive (as opposed to using a kit). i've never thought headlight and/or foglights should be covered so if you want to save a little money, you can skip that (and possibly the side mirrors).

elfhloa

I got the Ventureshield install and opted for the bikini cut on the hood (side mirrors included) along with full bumper, custom rocker panels around to rear 1/4 panel and also the luggage sill on my touring. I opted out of the full hood as it was > $850...but might have second thoughts on the bikini cut. It isn't visible until you walk alongside and catch it at an angle. >>

[IMG]

jlwsbw

Nice lookin ride elfhearse. by the way, having seen your posted vehicle pic is why i added the ZMP at the last minute. car started production yesterday!
    in your last post, are you saying you are having second thoughts on the bikini cut and should have done the full hood?

wretched

Thanks very much for the pic! Would you mind posting one more in a few months after some washing and waxing? Can you tell I have failure to commit to a product? ::p

jlwsbw

After considerable research, and a very lengthy discussion with my usual installer, I am opting for the following on my status 150 '10 E91:
    Venture Shield, FULL hood, FULL custom bumper, FULL front fenders, FULL rocker panels, headlights and foglights, rear door sill, driver side and passenger side front and rear door edge trim. So, what isnt being wrapped you ask? the rear quarter panels, roof, 4 doors and rear tailgate door. The total install will run just under $1500.00 materials included. The crappy thing is the Venture Shield warranty is ONLY on materials lifetime, not labor. The 3M warranty is 5 yrs for labor and warranty. Venture Shield wont yellow because of no clear coat (incidentally my installer uses Venture Shield Ultra which is the upper end of the 2 venture shield products). The way I have come to justify this expenditure is I received a $1500 holiday credit from BMW, plus I'm getting $500 from being a cca member. Bottom line, I'm still $500 ahead. Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts. My vehicle should be at the installer towards the middle/end of February, and once I pick it up will be sure to post pics. I've read this morning the E91 is being replaced with the 3GT...glad I'm getting my wagon now!