Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

9 months in the making - S50 swap [pics]

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Dec 28, 2009.

z31maniac guest

Ugh. Just skimmed through, saw blown headgasket.

Same thing happened on my S52 swap. Got it in and running, put down some good dyno numbers and generally ran like a scalded dog.

It was a big enough disappointment I decided to just part it out. I'm reading more and more about headgasket failures with these engines. If I ever do another S5x swap, the motor will be rebuilt before it goes in.

Once someone comes up with an easy S54 swap, my pristine little 318 may get hacked into!

Good luck on getting it back together.

az3579

Another day delay. No Friday, now it's Saturday. :(

az3579

[IMG]

lcjhnsn

Very pretty, now lets see it in the car and running

granthr

Gotta love parts washers!!!! I think I need one! :D

BIMMIR guest

Giddy - Up

Autohaus guest

Unofficial Update:

Srobmw picked up Botond and are on the way to get said E30. After all is said and done, B is supposed to swing by my house. Once I knock B out cold I will give a full review of the performance of S50 E30.

TeamStowell We love driving!

It's 7:30AM Sunday morning, and I have seen no news reports of E30 carjackings, police chases, or reports of domestic violence involving two young males from the Beacon NY area....

The BMW world sits and waits for an update. :(

Autohaus guest

Update:

The car is a rocket. It does need little odds and ends here but it will be taken care of next weekend. I need to buy a shovel and some plastic bags, though :eek:

az3579

I'm now on the search locally for an E36 OBD-I MAF and intake boot so this thing can finally run properly. Oh the fun I had coming home last night though.... :D

It's safe to say I no longer need to downshift twice and floor it just to merge with traffic. :cool:

Autohaus guest

Darn, Botond escaped :(. Time to get my e28 back.

Brian A

Man, that is a funny joke.

... I hope.

You can't have everything. ;)

Don't forget to post "AFTER" photos!!!

Are you swapping tachs?

granthr

Glad to see this thing is coming through!!!! Congrats! Sounds like you need new seats already though! :D I would suggest vinyl it cleans up better!

stevehecht

Congrats for hanging in there!

az3579

Okay, so pretty much a recap since the swap:
    I've spent more time with the hood up than I have driven it.

So first was the headgasket. Then a heater core leak became apparent, immediately followed by a confirmation that the heater valves are also cracked. Wasn't dumping much coolant, until a couple of days ago, which meant I couldn't go down the street without having to refill. Cost: $200 for core + ~$100-120 for valves + labor

Wheel bearing is still bad as I haven't had money to replace it. Cost= ~2 hrs labor (about $180, already have part)

License plate light area is so rusted out that none of the lights work now as opposed to the 1 that was working previously, so I have to get that area fixed. Cost: $150 without paint, $250 with paint.

I wonder when I'll reach the point that I could just go back to preventative maintenance instead of required repairs; I miss those days. Great timing too, when I have no money.
    When will it end????

lcjhnsn

I wonder when you will reach the point where it would have been cheaper just to buy an e36 M3?? I think that might come first :( Your going to be putting a lot more stress on the 20 year old chassis, drive train and cooling system

az3579

Says Mr. Supercharged, topless roadster driver. :p

There will be no E36 M3 in my near future because the only thing that'll spell is jacked up insurance. My car is already jack-my-insurance-up red, which is enough.

Brian A

Sour puss.

An arrest-me red E30 rocket is soooo much cooler.

granthr

Sorry to hear about the continuing issues. But you will get to those. How is it to drive? Is it all you hoped it would be? Have you stunned anyone yet with your sleeper?

240 hp in a 2,700lb car = :D:D:D:D

Autohaus guest

Every female that has glanced at B/S50 powered E30 has fainted and wants moar.