Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

3rd time is not the charm redux

Discussion in 'BMW' started by rwhgme, Dec 28, 2009.

rwhgme

BMW is offering us a trade assist(Whatever that means). If anyone has experienced this please email me at rwhgme@aol.com. Thanks guys and gals Scott

granthr

+1

Sorry about your car and such. But it would be best to keep this all in one thread. Easier for others to follow and just good threaded discussion protocol.

rwhgme

Sorry that I do not know your protocol about posting on this forum but if you have nothing to help me with my car you could have just emailed me with your critcism.

granthr

No need to be touchy. Are you sure it is the car that is having issues?

eam3

I understand your frustration but like others said, keep it in one thread. And if someone offers constructive criticism regarding proper forum etiquette, accept it graciously and you will see that others might be more receptive to answering your questions.

Everybody that reads the forum will learn from such comments, if we were to privately e-mail every single thing then what is the point of an open forum?

rwhgme

Number 1 not all of us automatically know the protocol. Number 2 I don't know any of you. Number 3 the last person to post in THIS part of the forum before me did so in August so I did not know if anyone was reading it. Number 4 BMW is buying my car back so they have declared it a lemon. If I need to post again(Not likely after this as I will be leaving with my US ranger unit to Afg) I will expect to get help with my car....not help with my posts.If you read and understood the original start to this thread I left my email and instead of publicly correcting me you could have done it in private. If you are not familiar with the phrase "Praise in public, correct in private" you could have done so. Now, again, if ANYONE has had their car replaced after having it declared a lemon, please email me.

granthr

Well if you are getting this mad over someone suggesting that you keep it to one thread I am sure glad I don't work in the dealership where you bought your car! You must of been a peach to deal with :p

granthr

Alright, I wasn't being nice.

Don't take offense to suggestions from others. It is nothing personal. Just helping keeping the threads clean so to speak. You didn't know, so someone told you. No harm no foul. Now you know for the next time.

Now hopefully you are not completely burned by BMW and you can go out and enjoy your new car. They really are great cars, as most will attest here! :D

rwhgme

Now THAT is funny! But they and I have had a lot of laughs over this. When I drove up the service manager looked at my wife's tears and started to cry also. My wife wanted to make sure that they would not chop it up. The dealer has already ordered us a new 335i xDrive without the perf. mod.

granthr

Well I am sorry you had such a headache with your car, that is really awful. :( I have never owned a new car and probably never will. But I can understand the frustration. I spun a bearing in my 325ix this summer and had to replace the motor. Now with an older car you expect these things, with a new car they just shouldn't happen.

Glad to hear that BMW is stepping up and getting you a new car. Hope this one is all that the previous one should have been. Maybe BMW should stick to making great cars and let Alpina and Dinan do the performance mods! :D

rwhgme

Hey Granthr, No harm but if you have info on Alpina or Dinan I would be greatful. One would think 300 hp would be enough but you can never have enough money or horsepower.

granthr

Alpina does not offer much here in the States. They still are mostly a European turner. They have offered only a couple complete models here recently. 7 series and Z8.

So Dinan it is. They are blessed by BMW which means you don't need to worry about your warranty. It will stay in tact. Here is their website. http://www.dinancars.com/

The nice thing about Dinan is that you can do as much or as little as you like. They are expense but their stuff works. Their package deals offer the most noticeable performance gains. But you do have a 335, so just the software upgrade will make a noticeable difference.

My wife's car has the stage 2. This includes springs, shocks, sway bars, software, intake, and throttle body. The car handles great and the engine if very responsive, with a lifted redline (although I don't take it past the stock redline). We have been very happy with it.

rwhgme

Our new car will have the M3 upgrade, cold weather package and sport package with the 6 speed Steptronic shifter. After the new car is broken in I will contact Dinan.....and thank you.

ridgetopboy guest

Lemonade from lemons

First of all, God's speed in Afgahnistan, come home safely.

Couldn't really understand what the problem with your car was but it sounds like BMW is doing the right thing b replacing it. While I have not had that level of problem with a BMW I can assure you that if it was another brand the response would not be so good. Mercedes will make you take them to court to "lemon law" a car.

I made the mistake of buying an Audi allroad in 2001 and it was a problem from the moment we drove it off the lot. I bought it because I thought it would be the ultimate ski vehicle but somewhere around the 3rd time I came back from Lake Tahoe on a flat bed truck I really began to regret the $52K I'd spent. Try as I might I could not get Audi to take the car back so we suffered with an unreliable car for 4 years that would leave us stranded by the side of the road on a regular basis. I finally traded it in on a 2006 530xi sportswagen losing a ton of money but happy to be rid of the Audi.

In 1984 I bought my wife a 325e, the first 3 series with a six cylinder motor. It was beautiful but the manual tranny was not what I had come to expect from BMW, it was very notchy and once in a while you could not get it into first gear. I brought it into the dealership and of course it would slip into first gear perfectly every time and the service manager would say that the tranny just needed a little time to "break-in". I persisted and made an appointment with BMW's factory service rep as he was visiting the dealer the next week. The rep, service mgr. and I, took the car out with the rep driving it. We went a block or 2 to a stop light and he put the car in neutral, when the light turned green the car did its thing and he could not get the car into first gear (YEA!!!). Putting the car in 2nd he made a u-turn back to the dealership, turned to the service mgr. and said get Mr. Wialbut a new transmission. The tranny was overnighted and installed the next day.

In comparison' when the Audi's automatic tranny went kaput. the car was towed to the dealership, no one called us to say the car was there or anything. When we inquired where our car was they said they didn't know anything about it. We finally had to go to the dealer to find the car and we're told they would need time to "diagnose the problem"? New car, 7000 miles, no go, tranny makes really bad noises, I knew the problem. Anyway, after ten days, no calls from the dealer, I was in Asia, my wife calls to find out what is going on with the car and their answer; "what car?". Seems the dealership traded hands in the meantime, the old service mgr. sent the car to some transmission shop 50 miles away (why???) and the new mgnt. had no idea where the car was. For the next 10 days my wife's inquiries went unanswered, they literally lost our car and ignored her. When I returned from my travels, I went straight to the dealer (Stevens Creek Audi in San Jose, CA) to find out what the heck was going on. After some time the service mgr. told me there was no reason for me to be upset with them??? Long story short, once again they had the car for 29 days, one day short of us being able to invoke the "lemon law". Meanwhile my wife was driving a Japanese econo box they passed off as a loaner car while we paid for an Audi allroad.

I'll take BMW's service and attitude anytime. A good friend of mine was the sales manager at Stevens Creek BMW and he told me BMW's attitude is, make the customer happy, period.

az3579

When it comes to service, it's all about the dealership. Some dealers are horrible, others go beyond what is necessary to make you happy.

It all depends on what dealership and who manages it.

rwhgme

I will say that Baron here in KC has been aces in their treatment of us. I hope that after only 800 total miles that we will not have to pay anything for our new 335i. I don't know if the BMW Performance Tuning kit on pg 19 of the OriginalBMW Accessories catalog which in its description states that it has increased performance and cooling and cost an additional 4320.00 could have caused the fault in the computer, but even the service manager, after seeing my wife's tears, said that even after removing everything he could not guarantee that the problem would go away. My advice to everyone thinking of adding this package to your new or older model 335 or any car with the twin turbo 6 to hold off awhile. Beeing a possible test mule was not fun. We ordered our 2010 on the first day it was online on BMWUSA and the pkg was only an email to the salesmen because the catalog had not been published yet. Overall I WILL say that the car when operational sounded great but I will be interested to talk to Dinan when the 2010 upgrades are announced. Thanks for the prayers on going, but it appears that my orders may be amended to training troops stateside...we will see. Scott

rwhgme

Just a quick update to let everyone know that our new 335 is at the port at Bremerhaven awaiting transport to the states.

granthr

I am sure you can hardly wait, just a few more weeks!!! :D I have been following Jon's adventure with his 335d Euro delivery. You might have seen his threads here over the past few weeks.

az3579

Did you order the same thing? Same color combo and options?

mardo