Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

29 days owned 10 days and counting in the shop

Discussion in 'BMW' started by rwhgme, Dec 23, 2009.

rwhgme

title says it all

M3Driver guest

You know we have BMW Ombudsman that can help with these type of situations. You might want to call the National Office for more details.

granthr

Sorry to hear that. What is going on, what is the problem?

M3Driver guest

Some problems it might appear, with some BMW Performance Products. A thread with the title "2010 335i BMW factory hp mod redux" details it.

rwhgme

I have escalated the situation to Group 1 Automotive. The possible new answer to this situation is that the muffler has a vacuum operated valve in it. It either isn't supposed to have it or it does and needs to be disabled(I think). I should know something by tomorrow which will be day 30 and 12. I really do hope that I will be enjoying the "Ultimate driving experience" soon. I have owned a number of American performance cars in my 54 years but this is what happens when we let our cars get smarter that the technicians who repair them...makes me wish that the techs were old school mechanics who can think outside of the computer box.

az3579

Okay, back up here for a second.
    I have to admit that this statement is not fair to say. Working with computers myself, I have heard my fair share of customers comlaining about techs not being able to immediately diagnose a problem. It isn't fair to blame the technicians for not being able to diagnose a vehicle that is as complex and advanced as yours. There are a number of things that could go wrong, and like when I'm diagnosing a computer, I won't know for sure what it is that's wrong until I test certain parts. Some things you just won't know until you take a look at it and test it, so once again,thinking they're incompetant for not magically knowing what the problem is the first time is not fair to them or the engineers that designed the vehicles. BMW-trained and certified techs are very higly trained and very qualified to perform work on these advanced automobiles, so please let them do their jobs and not bash them for not yet having figured out a potentially complicated and/or elusive [intermittent] problem.

I'd be annoyed as well if I were you, having just bought an expensive car, but please do know where to draw the line as far as insulting their intelligence goes.

Thank you.

rwhgme

I am not certain that anything I said implied that any technician was incompetent. What I said was that MY cars' problem was not related to the computer as much as it was that a PERSON designed this performance modification at BMW and was not available to brainstorm a solution like we used to be able to do. Computers are a wonderful advancement to our way of life, but, at times, they can also absolve you of guilt(IT MUST BE A COMPUTER GLITCH) or a logical, human derived answer. In a car, sometimes we need to rely on an old school answer to a piece of machinery that in one form or another has been around for more than 100 years. With that said I have my car back today and I hope to only post good news stories as tomorrow is a day reserved for the TRUE good news for those who believe in Him and peace for all people no matter who or what you believe! When we get to God, the path you took matters less to Him than the fact that you at least tried! Shalom, Salaam, and Peace!

az3579

My apologies if this is not what you meant. This is the line that made me think that's what you meant:

Let's just hope you won't have this issue again. It's about time you got to enjoy your car.

tiFreak

I think he meant the cars are getting too complicated, can't say I disagree

AugustneverEnds 1988 325iS, 1989 750iL

For my two cents worth modern cars are far too complicated. Batteries now need to programmed by the dealer for replacement? How is this possibly a positive attribute? I hope I'm not coming cross as painfully stuck in the past but how does this pass any test of logical design?

MGarrison

This is an old thread, but can't say I disagree - nuisance to have to hit up the dealer instead of being able to go anyplace and get a battery replaced the instant you need to.