Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1975 2002

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by rdotson, Dec 19, 2009.

rdotson guest

Hello. i have a "garage queen" 1975 2002 with 50,000 miles. I start it monthly, but unfortunately last time a nasty smoke cloud appeared on deceleration. Nothing on start up. I assume this is probably valve seals. Am I correct? Planning on repairing myself. any suggestions on repairing, other things to think about, etc?? thanks for any help. Randy Dotson

CRKrieger

Sounds right to me, at least if it was a standard-issue blue oil cloud. "They all do that." I wouldn't hurry on the job unless you have to. It won't hurt the car.

Arash2002tii guest

They definitely do, both the ones I have owned do the same thing. I just keep an eye on my oil level after driving the car a lot.

BMWCCA1

On a '75 it could be lots of stuff, too. If you're sure it's only on decell then maybe seals. If it hardly gets run, exercise may be in order. But the '75s also have thermal reactors and many had bad block castings along with the "terminal" reactors. Have you ditched the reactors yet?