Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

A 2002 in a Bud Light Commercial??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arash2002tii, Dec 18, 2009.

Arash2002tii guest

• Staff

steven s

That's been on for a while.
    But square tail lights?
    Really?
    Some would say, it's not a real BMW.

:D

bcweir

If people are identifying a 2002 as a BMW based on round or square taillights...

I am suggesting they don't know how to identify a BMW.

BMW traditionally places the roundel at the center rear of the trunklid and at the top front center of the hood.

Round taillights, square taillights, who cares! It's still a 2002 and it's still a BMW.
    • Staff

steven s

That was a joke. ;)
    Like, the only real M3 is an E30 M3.
    My ti is not a real BMW because it is missing a trunk.

granthr

I am confused, I thought BMW stopped making M3s after 1991? :confused: :D
    • Staff

steven s

They started again in 2009. ;)

CRKrieger

No ... not on a round taillight '02.

[IMG]

bcweir

I certainly stand corrected on roundel positioning...

however, what does the VIN number say? Let that be a determination of whether or not the car was made by Bavarian Motor Works?

bcweir

The current M3 was introduced as a 2008 model in the USA.

tiFreak

az3579

bcweir

I realize appearance items are a matter of taste, but...

I am hardly going to begrudge an entrepreneur's right to make a living. Nobody builds this stuff for free (what, you want him to STEAL the materials and charge nothing for labor?).

The price is certainly not out of line when you consider what BMW charges to replace a STOCK taillight. I've seen aftermarket taillights sell for more than twice that for my vehicle.

That product may not be something you or I would buy, but I won't begrudge his right to sell it to someone else for that price, or someone else's right to pay that if they want it.

As I said before, appearance is strictly a matter of personal preference, and I find nothing out of line about that price, especially since I have seen other similar products selling for a lot more than that, even from the BMW dealer.

Arash2002tii guest

Besides your 318ti gets to look (somewhat) like a roundie :D

bcweir

I don't own a 318ti.

tiFreak

I think he was saying it in a more general way than specifically to you, also those taillights look absolutely horrible when installed, other than the chrome I use to not think they were that bad until I saw them installed :eek:

bcweir

Isn't this 'free enterprise' thing awesome?

Buy what you want, and nobody points a gun to anyone's head forcing other people to buy or not buy.

az3579

Wow, you really do take everything that everyone says literally, and I've noticed this in other threads as well. The point I was making isn't that the lights cost a lot, but that they're so ugly they're worthless. I would bet 99% of enthusiasts would agree, and that posting such an item on an enthusiast board will get lots of criticism of the light. The OP posted it expecting all of us to agree that those lights shouldn't have been put in production in the first place.

And by the way, if you're wanting to replace a stock headlight, you never buy one new. Look on an enthusiast forum such as this and you'll find the lights you need for nowhere near that price.

bcweir

Fascinating

I didn't know I was speaking to 99 percent of the membership. Wow. Either the club has gotten a WHOLE lot smaller (crud. ANOTHER membership $ increase!), or you know something about the forum nobody else does.

Would your name happen to be One Man Majority?

It would be awesome for you to teach me how that new math works where one person speaks for thousands. You realize that going to totally screw up next year's census right?

:D

One man, one vote? Or is it one man, millions of votes?

Tell you what? When you're heading up the Car Parts Police and deciding what can go on sale and what can't, can you post a picture of your badge?

Oh yeah, and while you're at it, put out a mandate for BMW to send us some diesel fours, will you?

az3579

OK, let's put up the general question:
    Who here thinks those lights are hideous?

(and you know what I mean by 99% - here you go again being literal)

bcweir

Oh heck, now you're talking to yourself.

Too weird.

Enjoy.

I'm out of here.