Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

15K Oil Change Interval - Any Problems?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Rich Rulli, Apr 3, 2008.

330indy1

then I hope you sent this from your Blackberry while driving around! :D

bradley01 guest

HaHaHa Heck no! Not with gas at $4.09!!!!! Oh...to be back in the days when gas was only $0.79 a gallon!!! sigh...

330indy1

I am dating myself....

but as a kid I remember leaded gas (regular) at $.29/gallon (!)
    I also remember smelling the fumes in our car of the one in front of us. yikes.

bradley01 guest

Ahhhhh....yea! I remember that! The best smell in the world is an alcohol-burning car and burnt rubber!

330indy1

drag racing or nascar, ...or open wheels?

330indy1

and Joe Blo has access to alcohol for his 67 Mustang?

bradley01 guest

Of course. Don't you know anyone you can get racing fuel from? There's a race track in my home town, so you can get all you want!

snikwad guest

Wtf. How did we get from BMW bs oil service interval, to old school muscle cars and their various smells?

bradley01 guest

Neither. Joe Blo cruising his '67 Mustang down the strip and lightin em up at the stop light! They say smell is the best summoner of memories!

Oh, and nothing beats the smell of the interior of a '74 Dodge Charger! Mmmmmmm...fake leather!

330indy1

ain't it beautiful! :p

bradley01 guest

HaHaHa
    Weak minds to wander! :rolleyes:
    It just takes a strong one to bring us back on track. I guess old school muscle cars need oil changes too! :D How long would you say is a good oil change interval for a stroked '67 'Stang running an alcohol mixture? ;)

330indy1

1/4 mile

:D

bradley01 guest

...or after every Friday night cruise! LOL

charleschampion166 guest

E46 (01 330XI) for sale, (wrong page, i know)

I have a E46 2001 330 XI for sale. it an automatic, sport packages, prem pack, milano red leather interior, silver exterior, harmon karman sound system, heated seats, memory seats, many more..... 110k miles, sharp car, beautiful in and out. where are some places or sites i can post to sell my baby????? it will be better if it free. thank you all
    again, wrong page to post this, sry.

snikwad guest

the classified here, bimmerfest.com, bimmerforums.com, e46fanatics.com, craigslist.org, ebay.com

the local paper, local forums.

330indy1

Talk about the Off-Topic Diversion!!!

Car for Sale!

WTF

:D

kkratoch

Yeah, at the very least the oil change interval should have been listed. :D

cougarclaws guest

Tests have proven that synthetic oil can last as long as 25k. Amsoil, probably one of the best synthetics out there, will gaurantee your enging against oil related breakdowns (or used to), as long as you did a filter replacement at 12k or 6 months, then changed the oil at 25k or one year. In my E46, because I drive hard, I changed the oil every 7.5k.
    In track testing, we had an engine that still had hone marks in the cylinders with synthetic after 100 hours of hard racing!
    If you drive like an average every day driver, then 15k or once a year will probably be enough, provided you use the recommended oil/filter combination BMW puts in the car. They care about their cars providing well over the 100k mark, and have proven this again and again. One example is the replacement of bearings (BMW volunteered to do this, and it was NOT a recall) on certain E46 M3s, and simply stated that the reason was to be certain these cars made the 100k they were designed for (possible contamination during assembly). More than 100k on any car is simply a bonus.

snikwad guest

^ what? More that 100k on any car is a bonus.

That is utter rubbish. If everyone dumped their cars at 100k then mankind would have a serious dump, and land space problem. Do u realize that this over 100k miles is on its last leg is only an American mentality. It is stupid and foolish. There is a guy on e46fanatics whose e46 has over 250k miles, so are u saying he's on his 3rd life. The only time he opened the engine is to fix the vanos and changed valve cover gaskets. These cars can do 300k+ miles if maintained properly, I've seen several hondas and toyotas with over 200k miles. My pathfinder's engine locked up at 188k miles because I was driving it around for a full month while it was overheating, that's the only reason it died.

Try to buy a E34, or E28 M5, the large majority of them are well over 150k. My 99 328 has over 150k on the clock, and its smoother than most bmws I've driven with under 80k miles. So how can u sit there and say its a simple bonus. That's what they're supposed to do.
    Hell I remember coming across a E28 M5 when I was contemplating getting one, dude had over 300k miles on the original S38 engine and still drove it almost daily, and looking at it you couldn't tell, and that's a hand built M engine, that was basically a detuned race engine.
    If I knew any car wasn't designed to go past 100k I'd NEVER buy it, and neither would you.

I'm the 2nd owner of my 328, and if I don't go nuts, changine stupid failed electronic parts. I plan on keeping it atleast till 200k miles. I have absolutely no doubt the drivetrain, and body is capable of it, its replacing every damn sensor and bushing on the mawfuka, as well as the subframe during this period that scares me.

With proper engine maintenance, any car should do over 200k miles easy, its just if the maintenance on the modern over sensored car, that worries me.
    That's why my next bmw is probably gonna be a E30 M3.
    Nice and phukin simple. Valve adjustment, bushings and stuff, that's it.

snikwad guest

Also, as I've mentioned before, if u guys check it, these older bimmers did these kinds of mileage because oil changes were more frequent than they are now. Now granted, oil and lubricant technelogy has moved fwd significantly since the 80s and early 90s, but I'm not leaving that crap in for 15k.
    That is a bare calculated minimum that bmw engineers and accountants came up with, in order to minimize costs to bmw since they started paying for warranty work, and to enough for the car to make it out of warranty and possible extanded warranty, ie. 100k.
    Pressure from world environment groups to reduce waste volume, I'm sure was also a factor.