Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

15K Oil Change Interval - Any Problems?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Rich Rulli, Apr 3, 2008.

330indy1

bradley01 guest

M3Driver guest

That's the place....please let us know the results..

Cheers...

330indy1

i have followed your posts at e46 fans

please let us know what's up as soon as you do!

snikwad guest

I'm curious about what the results of 15k vs 5k would be. But honestly, I'd never do it, I don't need that to tell me. The flow the color, the texture are what I use to tell. Especially that last drip from the drain plug. Speaking of, I need to get me a magnetic drain plug.

bradley01 guest

If you read that write-up on the website I posted earlier, you will see that color has nothing to do with the viscosity of the oil. The writer mentioned that the manufacturer's suggested durration relates to the maximum amount of particles that the oil can suspend in itself...etc, etc, etc... You guys should check it out. Very informative!

RussSwift

Unless you race, beat the car, or drive in rough conditions, don't change the oil until told to do so by the car. The more expensive synthetic oil is made to out perform regular oil. If you want to spend more money on oil changes, go ahead, but for me, the only reason to do that is of your driving habits. Every 5000 is fine with regular oil, too short a period of time for synthetic oil. Russ

malcadam guest

Oil change

Rich, Congratulations on your purchase. New BMWs run on synthetic oil. I run both my 328 and 540 on AMSOil.You can use any synthetic that complies with the BMW spec. AMSOil specifies 25K miles or 12 months, with a filter change half way for the one I use. So 15K on any synthetic is good. BTW it is also a popular myth perpetrated by the oil companies that you need to change even regular petroleum oils @3K miles. For these 5K-8K is fine depending on driving conditions.
    malcadam

330indy1

the car is 'wrong'

Don't wait for the computer to tell you your car is screwed. Change your oil often.
    Isn't your BMW worth it???

---

Jeron guest

15k is fine for most drivers, but you must check the level, its hard to go 15k/1yr without needing to add a qt. I prefer 7500 but every time I have it tested it could have gone MUCH longer.

330indy1

porschenaround guest

my porcshe turbo blackens the oil at about 3k miles ( hard miles ! ) so 3-5k for me. Depends how hard you drive the car.

snikwad guest

turbo at work i guess.

snikwad guest

330indy1

wonder what oil he uses?
    looks pretty good

robisonservice guest

One point I did not see in any of the replies is this . . .

While I feel 15k is too long for maximum engine life under all conditions, there is also such a thing as "too short." If you change the oil frequently, using Mobil 1 040 or BMW 530 or some equivalent product, you will actually reduce the life of the catalysts while (possibly) extending the life of the engine itself.

The additive packages in the oil wear off with age, and changing oil at 3-5k intervals will certainly wear the converters faster as more additive is burned through them. I've heard this in Bosch service training, and I've gotten it from the Mobil 1 application engineers.

I have also been told that going from a 7500 mile change to a 3-4-5k mile change will not provide any significant benefit for most American drivers. Of course, you may feel your mileage varies and that's why there's oil analysis. I will also say that I've never sent a 7500 mile sample out and had it return "worn out" when using today's extended service oils.

Therefore, I'd suggest 7500 miles as a figure on a newer BMW for most USA applications.

snikwad guest

you guys need to email Mike Miller at bimmer magazine and request a copy of his, old school BMW maintenance schedule, and see what he says about back in the day BMWs, and why BMW changed to this new schedule.

here's an older version of his document, posted on the internet, even tho he asks not to.
    i got mine from him last week and its a little different, but the core of it is the same.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=271535&highlight=mike miller

snikwad guest

if you check it again, you'll see he eventually posted his oil schedule changes and what lube he uses.

330indy1

"The additive packages in the oil wear off with age, and changing oil at 3-5k intervals will certainly wear the converters faster as more additive is burned through them."

I find that hard to believe...

bradley01 guest

Me too...

I would say that this sums it up pretty much. Emphasis on "today's extended service oils"! The key is newer developments in additives which coat the free radicals and loose particles floating around in the engine oil...saving them from harming ur engine. Booooooo old school oils. Hooooray extended life synthetics!;)

Stay tuned for my oil analysis...i'm at 1,300 on my last oil change. Only 3,700 to go till I send it in! LOL