Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Techron Concentrate Plus is fixing my fuel gauge

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 330indy1, Dec 5, 2009.

330indy1

my 2001 530i with 110k miles had a 1/8 low indication with fill-ups during the summer. I have been adding Techron since, and it reads to the full line now. Whew!!

by the way I use BP Ultimate almost exclusively, with occasional V-Power fillups.

[As of the New Year, I got a reading just past the full line. By the way I have stopped topping it off as well. Most recently have been using V-Power 93]

Pete540

Interesting, When i used BP premium I would have problems with my fuel gauge readings also. Since I run Exxon premium now, no further issues. Must have something to do with their additives.

330indy1

that's not good. BP Ultimate is supposed to be low sulfur gasoline. I may try V-Power for an extended run to see if there is a difference without the Techron. Problem is I have a BP rebate card :(

Dmarque

Problem is that rebate isn't applicable towards the engine repairs you'll face using their fuel . :cool:

Your knowledge of Techron indicates that you are probably aware of the need to protect your car by using Top Tier fuels. However, if you're not familiar with "Top Tier" rated fuels here is a little info.

BMW strongly recommends that you pay attention to what fuels you specifically put in your car. Below is a link to information concerning additives and Top Tier Fuels. You might want to pass it on to those you know. Now I will add that while this information is important there are those dealers who do not adhere to the strictest elements of these formulas. It's up to each of us to find stations in our locale that do adhere to these standards and support them....AND let them KNOW WHY you are supporting their station. Our local Shell station and a Marathon across the street speak eloquently on the subject so I support these guys and encourage friends to get familiar with the subject as well. It's not price per gallon that is important.....it's about long term optimal maintenance of these cars.
    Dmarque

Brian A

Here is a link to another long discussion about Top Teir etc:
    http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2425

I still can't figure out how gas quality would affect fuel gauge readings. I wonder if its just that some pumps shut off before they fill the gas tank completely full.

Pete540

I don't think the issue is Top Tier or not in this case. I have been using EXXON premium for many years in several BMW's . In a back and forth correspondence with Exxon , they claim that their gas would pass those tests, but chose not to participate in the program. Based upon my experience I have no basis to disagree, never even needed a fuel injector cleaning. What I can say is that when i used BP premium for a couple of months the fuel gauge in my X5 started acting up with funky readings. (obtaining the gas from several stations) I went back to Exxon and after a couple of tankfuls the problem ceased. Based upon this I believe BP must have an additive that caused a problem with my fuel guage. I did not need to use techron to clear it up.

nd4spdlsc

A note for all: Techron is a great concentrate for breaking up carbon build up. It is so good in fact that Shell buys it and uses it under license to create their V-Power high test, which is, coincidentally, the gas with the most fuel cleaning additives in the US, ahead of Chevron's own blend. This is only for their V-Power high test though. Seafoam concentrate also works very well and I would recommend using it also.

On a related discussion anyone with a background in thermodynamics care to explain to me how Shell's new "nitrogen enriched" fuels will help my efficiency? If my memory serves me right, the nitrogen only eats up room in the cylinder and adds thermal mass to the combustion process without actually contributing anything.

330indy1

That is big news. I have never heard (or read) that Shell adds Techron under license. I am happy to hear this, but I have to ask.... how do you know this?

bluewagon

Shell V Power

I have been using Shell V Power for 5 years. I am getting about 33 mpg highway at 75pluss
    average arround town is 23mog on my 03 325it I will not switch.
    Brian A Thanks for picking my car for your BMWCCA gallery. the Blue Wagon
    Harry
    Suncoast Chapter

shanneba

Brian A

It is an honor and a privilege to post a photograph of your fine automobile … ummm ... which one is yours? ... 327? ... 328? ... Enzo?

tiFreak

bluewagon

V power

Brian A:
    My car is the 03 Orient Blue Metallic 325it With the clouds reflected on it.
    Harry- Bluewagon

Brian A

Oops. Thanks for the complement, but I don't have such a picture in my gallery.

bluewagon

Gallery photo

Brian A :
    My Car is in your gallery. If you locate the photo of the three dogs,(yours I presume)
    then the third photo from the right is my car. thanks again.
    bluewagon
    Harry 325it

nd4spdlsc

I was told this by a former motor oil analyst who now manages a chain automotive repair group in FL. This was when V-Power originally came to market. He has no affiliation with Shell. It may have changed, but that's what I was told at the time. I have no reason to doubt him as he still attends oil industry conferences. The 540 I just picked up has had a steady diet of Shell since at least the third owner. I was happy to hear it and I am sticking with it as well. I also have no affiliation with Shell or any other oil company.

I'm going to try a steady diet of Techron in other car that has a funky fuel level sender. I'll have to stock up when it's on sale. There's buy one get one at Advance every few months.

Dmarque

I've been told by a highly credible BMW dealership that to qualify to be a Tier One Fuel" you need only have 10% of the fuel comply to the standards. Pretty shoddy standards if that is true. It sure makes the credibility of the standards questionable to me. With that in mind I like what one poster suggested. Since we don't really know for a fact what we are getting at the pump because lables are not credible then purchase a mid-grade and add the techron yourself. Since we all have different gas tank volumes I'd be interested in knowing what amount of techron we should add per gallon to better assimilate the intentions of the Tier One classification. Also any suggestions on which Techron product is easiest to use would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Mark

eam3

I wonder if it has changed because there is no mention of Shell on their website: http://www.techron.com/

As a side note, we have been using Techron since the 80s on our BMWs and cannot say enough good things about it. Our old E23 733i in particular loved it.

Dmarque

Ed:

Thanks, I see you're right about that. I was under the mistaken notion that all Top Tier fuels contained Techron......oops! So, since you do add Techron ....
    • How much Techron per gallon of fuel do you add?
    • Do you add with each tank fill or only occasionally?
    • Where do you buy it...NAPA, BMW dealer .....etc?
    • Are there any quantity discounts ...if so what level?
    Thanks!

Mark

eam3

1. Usually one little bottle per tankful.
    2. I haven't used it on my 330 yet but my dad adds it to his '90 750iL about once every 3 months and his car runs buttery smooth.
    3. My dad is always hunting for a bargain so when he runs low he'll start searching until he finds the best price, I'll have to ask him where he bought the last case.