Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Upgrade Aluminum to Shadowline Trim

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by aparrado, Dec 3, 2009.

aparrado guest

My 07' 335i with sport package is going to be upgraded in the next couple of weeks with the shadowline trim. I got the kit from Tisher for $750 and I am looking for a reputable body shop in the area that could install it. Does anyone have any instructions for installation which I could give a body shop or recommendations for a shop that can install it in the VA/DC/MD area? I got a quote from BMW from FFX for it and they said around $450. That seems a bit excessive to me.

Thanks,

Alvaro

az3579

If you can get a hold of the instructions, why don't you do it yourself instead of paying hundreds of dollars for someone else to do it?

CRKrieger

Why is it that everything anyone proposes to do to a car is an "upgrade"? Especially this one. It is simply different. It adds no functionality any more than an 'upgraded' paint color would. Some people would consider it a 'downgrade' because they like the shiny stuff. What's wrong with the word "change"? :confused:

Just venting on a wildly overused term. Carry on ...

eam3

People see it as an upgrade because BMW sees it as an upgrade and makes it part of a package. In Europe you can order Shadowline by itself but it costs extra - hence the upgrade part. That's my guess.

330indy1

+1000
    aluminum is classy
    ohhhh well

tiFreak

and shadowline is sporty ;)

CRKrieger

No; BMW sees it as something cosmetic that they can sell, just the same way they sold (or still sell) metallic paint for an additional charge. Maybe I'm just an unreasonable old codger using prewar English, but when I hear the word "upgrade", I expect to see something that is measurably better in some respect, not something that just cost more to get.

eam3

No argument there but this is the same company that sees iDrive as an upgrade from the previous way of doing things :) so their definition may differ from others.

pseto

you should be able to DIY, you just have to be VERY careful when removing the old trim because its not as strong as you would think. the install part is very easy, just pop it back in