Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

interior exhaust/oil smell help

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Stuart Cooperrider, Nov 30, 2009.

Stuart Cooperrider

Just had my oil changed at dealer and am noticing exhaust smells (maybe oil) in the car when at idle and parked. Might be most noticeable at park because the wind might help diminish the smell while in motion. Cursory inspection shows no oil on manifold. Oil level on dipstick is a bit high following recent oil change. Any thoughts? 2004 330xi with 30,000 miles.
    Thanks

tiFreak

are the windows down? (stupid question, just covering all bases ;))

also, is your exhaust a little louder than normal? it might be leaking and letting exhaust gas seep into the passenger compartment

Stuart Cooperrider

Thanks for your reply.
    Windows are up. Exhaust seems tight. Put hands over pipe ends and no apparent leaks. No increase in exhaust noise.

m3mellett guest

have them check

galley plug or whatever but it is small brass like screw often missed......tell me.... when i right

gordo

Check front cv joint boots .This greese stinks. It gets on the hot brake rotors and smells like something is burning.

oregonBMW

I had my E46 in for a plastic type smell and it turned out that it was a plastic bag on the exhaust system! Go figure.