Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wiring Issue, Driver's Side Headlight

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by CROSSON9, Nov 28, 2009.

CROSSON9 guest

First off, I want to thank everyone for helping me with my posts. Yes I am a novice at owning a vintage car, and most issues I have been able to handle. The newest one is my driver's side headlight, the high beam works but the low beam doesn't. I assumed it was the bulb, so I upgraded to the Hella halogen lights. The low beam is still out with the new light, so now I have been looking at the wires and not sure what to make of it.
    Has anyone had this problem, or could some tips be given to help find the wires involved?
    Thanks T.J.

John in VA

Take a look at the fuses and relays. I don't recall the year your car was made, but look at the fuse box and owner's manual to determine which one controls that side.
    make sure the metal strip of the fuse is complete, and clean up the metal contacts that it fits into.
    There are relays (round or rectangular metal boxes) mounted on the driver's side inner fender near the battery that control the low beams, high beams and horn. They are interchangeable so try swapping them.
    Good luck!

CROSSON9 guest

Thanks John, I'll go look and see if that's it, I hope it's that easy :)
    P.S..John you hit it in the head!! I checked the fuses and they seemed fine, so I had two new ones and put them in and all is well. Thanks again, hope I can return the favor.
    T.J.:D

John in VA

T.J. - Nice to hear it was a cheap & easy fix. I love that combination!

CRKrieger

Realize that 'checking' the ceramic fuses involves taking them out and testing with a meter or a test light. It is not uncommon for these to look fine and still be burned out. Also pay attention to the tension springs that hold the fuses. They can be carefully bent to hold the fuses tighter.