Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

new to the forum...

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by tiFreak, Nov 14, 2009.

• Staff

steven s

Connecticut it's submarines,
    NY it's heros
    I think the midwest are grinders.
    And somewhere else they are hoagies.
    I guess enough hijacking on my part.

tiFreak

haha, subs = subwoofers for future reference, and subwoofers = those obnoxious speakers us young people put in our cars that drive you crazy :p

TeamStowell We love driving!

I was thinking about your ti going through tech inspection before being OK'd to go on the track for a drivers school.

Tech inspector - And this is.......
    You - It's my sub woofer! Want to hear it?
    Tech inspector - I don't think so. It is 6:30AM and you will wake the entire county.

We could run the track PA thourgh that bad boy and everyone would hear us even over ther track traffic!!!

lcjhnsn

c'mon lets get this right...

long thin sandwiches in Connecticut are "grinders".

We also have Submarines in Connecticut but they don't exactly fit in a ti, 377 feet long, 7,700 tons and a nuclear reactor. I'm sitting about 100 yards from one as I type this...

az3579

Hey, don't generalize us 'young people! I hate big-azz subs; only reason for that is because every stinkin' Civic within a 10 mile radius has one, and usually pump their music so loud it sounds as though the car is going to literally fall apart.

At least you have a Bimmer so you don't have to worry 'bout it falling apart. :D

Ha, this is the 'sub' I was referring to. This is what CR would probably think when he heard that word. :D

tiFreak

lol, I might be required to take out the 50+ lb., unsecured box out of my trunk to pass tech, plus I wouldn't have any room for my track rims ;)

nope, but it sure does sound like it will :D I should probably stick some cardboard behind my license plate since you can hear it rattling inside the car over the sound of the subs :eek:

CRKrieger

Connecticut or New Hampshire is a "long road trip"? I know my friends in the northeast run fine schools at NHIS and Lime Rock Park.

As for subs, of course I know what they are. We have one right downtown:

[IMG]

This is the USS Cobia. It is the same class as (but not one of; it was built at Groton) the 28 subs that were built here in Manitowoc during WWII. It's across the river from the library, about 2 miles from where I sit. I used to have an office in the white building you can see above the after deck, beyond the Maritime Museum, where it is moored. It is open for tours through the boat year round and it is a fascinating look into what submariners lived with during the war. For those of you who might be coming to Oktoberfest next August, this is a 'must see', about 30 miles from the track & host hotel.

az3579

Umm, yes. For someone who takes a daily driver to a track, that is a very long drive. It's about 3-4 hours for me to get to New Hampshire (so it's probably similar for him to get to LRP), meaning all the more possibilities for my only car to break. This is probably what he's afraid of, and is the very reason I don't go to the awesome Watkins Glen (over 4.5 hours away), or some other cool tracks that are out of the state. Even if you break down and manage to get the car towed home, you've got the expense of towing, and then you even have to fix it ASAP, otherwise you're stuck. If there is another car to drive, that wouldn't be a problem.

Heck, if I had another car, I'd keep the swapped E30 once I hit 25 and use it strictly as a track car, while getting an M3 as a daily (and for... other... uses :D).

tiFreak

I'm not that worried about breaking down, in 3 years the car's never left me stranded, but 3-4 hours sure makes me realize how uncomfortable my seats are, I had to drive to the New Hampshire Motor Speedway for the Street Survival courses

CRKrieger

Well, it all depends on your tolerance for risk and adventure. Club members don't let club members hang. If you break your car at a driver school, the odds are somewhat good it'll be fixed before you leave the facility. If that doesn't happen, there's a good chance someone with a trailer will load your car up for a free ride to the nearest fixin' place. We've seen cars hauled across the whole damn continent as a favor. We will do everything possible to see that a busted car is a mere inconvenience, not a disaster. Yes, there's that chance, but what employer has never had car trouble? Ask them if they've ever crashed a car. Unless they've been remarkably lucky, they've had the experience. Refusing to take that risk means you'll miss a lot of fun. I've driven my car to every one of 8 Oktoberfests and to every one of dozens of autocrosses and driver schools. I've had things break, too. It has never been a disaster.

az3579

As nice a thought as that is, I can't expect people to help me, which is why I can't just go and "expect" the help I need in case something should happen. Is is a nice thought though, and I've already made up my mind to go to Watkins Glen at one point.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

A helping hand

I agree with Bruddah Krieger: of course, I tend to drive a car with no spare tahr across the country and back every year, dependin' on the kindness o' strangers (and an M Mobility kit) plus BMW Roadside Eventually to bail me out if I pop a sidewall on an armadillo. . .

Hey: That submarine! We toured it on the way to O'Fest in Grand Rabbits! How kewl is THAT?! :eek:

tiFreak

I'm all set, we don't have armadillos in Vermont :D we do have deer, moose and cows though, but if I hit one of those I don't think I'll have to worry about the tire :eek: