Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Paint Chips and Clear Bra

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Zahnarzt, Apr 3, 2008.

Zahnarzt

Greets!

Being a daily Dan Ryan commuter (I90/94 for non-Chicagoans), I have more than my fair share of paint blemishes on my hood, front bumper, and fenders. Some are very minor, and some definitely require paint. There are lots of them. I would like to do as much of this myself as possible, but after reading Brian's thread on how to do it right, I just don't think I have the space and time to make this a 100% DIY project.

The Plan::
    Paint Chip Repair (by detailer)
    Full Exterior Detail (by me or the detailer)
    Clear Bra installation (by detailer)

Assuming I had a detailer repair the paint chips for me, how long would I need to wait for the paint chip repair to cure before I completed a full exterior detail and the subsequent clear bra installation? (I assume is it best to install the clear bra over a Zymoled or Zainoed paint surface.)

Thanks for the help.

:D Rick

330indy1

a week or two should be enough for the paint to cure

Actually the process for the clear bra uses a mild water/alcohol mix for sealing it to the surface, and it is better to not have a wax coat on the paint for better adhesion.

I have the x-pel 3M on all three cars. As well as the (thicker) headlight shields. love it.

Zahnarzt

Yeah, I learned my lesson here as far as not getting one when the car was brand new. My only hope is that the paint chips can be repaired well first. On that note, and idea how long I'd have to wait for the chip repair to cure before installing the bra?

:D Rick

Zahnarzt

... never mind. Just saw your post title.

Thanks!