Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rear Disk Brake Conversion on an 02

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by CROSSON9, Nov 11, 2009.

CROSSON9 guest

Has anyone info, on converting the rear brakes on an 02 to disk? I have found only one person selling a Brembo conversion kit on Ebay, and nothing else. Is it possible and is it worth?

MGarrison

euro E21 323i rear solid disk brakes an option? I wouldn't know offhand if that's a possibility.

Arash2002tii guest

Ireland Engineering sells a kit using rotors and parking brake from a VW rabbit, check it out at bmw2002.com. I think it's worth it and I'm planning on doing it myself in the future. You may need a brake bias valve though and Ireland sells those as well.

CRKrieger

Probably not worth the bother since rear brakes on the '02 don't have much to do. You can put E21 drums on (call them "Turbo brakes" since the 2002 turbo used the same ones ;)). They're a little bigger. You would do better to put together a set of '77 320i vented disks on tii struts in the front. That is an improvement.

Arash2002tii guest

I've got the E21 rear drums on mine already :) better than the original ones on the car but they still fade too quickly under repeated braking. I will look into the vented rotors though since I already have tii struts :D

Brian A

Arash2002tii guest

Brian A

ДA, Comrade.