Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW Extended Warranty price under the new structure?

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by ThatOneGuy, Oct 19, 2009.

ThatOneGuy guest

Hello. I have a 2006 M3. I'm the original owner and still under warranty until next month. I'd like to purchase the BMW extended (Platinum) warranty but can't find the MSRP.

Back in '07 I purchased the BMW extended maintenance plan for $1195 @ MSRP (before the price increase). It was easy to find a dealer willing to sell at suggested retail because BMW posted the price on their website. However, under the new Gold & Silver plans they no longer post MSRP on the site. I called BMW NA and they told me BMW no longer has an "MSRP", each dealer sets their own price.

Any guidance, aside from emailing all the dealers in my area, would be appreciated. Has anyone purchased this plan under the new structure? Ballpark figure?

Thanks.

ThatOneGuy guest

UPDATE: I just read the fine print for the Extended Warranty and spoke with a dealer. Even though I'm still covered under the factory warranty, I'm not eligible for anything but the power-train warranty because I'm at 47 months and 45 months is the cut-off.

This is total BS.

agabriel guest

Sounds like its time to find a good indy shop that specialized in BMW.

Autohaus guest

Surprised that BMWNA or the dealer didn't notify you of this. You can take the powertrain warranty to have piece of mind or go the 3rd party warranty route.

ThatOneGuy guest

I appreciate the sentiment and I've started to shop for a good indy shop

The right thing for BMW to do; "grandfather in" anyone that met the previous 4/50 requirement, at least until the end of the year. That's reasonable, right?

ThatOneGuy guest

UPDATE:

BMW NA called this morning, they've amended the policy to include BMW's that fall under the original terms & conditions. If you own a BMW that is still under warranty you are now eligable for the extended factory coverage until the end of this year.

I have to say I'm very pleased that BMW NA stepped up and did the right thing. They really care about customer satisfaction and handled this issue quickly and professionally.

If anyone in NorCal is thinking about buying it, Sonnen BMW had the best prices by far.

Autohaus guest

Glad that you have gotten that squared away. Lets hope your M3 stays out of the shop. You should, however, bring the car to a indy mechanic right before the warranty expires so that he/she can go over the covered parts to see if anything is in need of attention/replacement. If something isn't right, then bring it into the dealer. Having two opinions on a car that is about to have its warranty expire is better than one.

ThatOneGuy guest

Thanks for the advice. My sincere hope is that I wasted my money and that my M3 never sees the inside of shop for anything other than routine service. However, the peace of mind that comes with the additional coverage means a few more years of worry-free ownership.

I must also say again how pleased I am with BMW NA. They really stepped up.