Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Trans. Failsafe Program message

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by lkennedy750il, Oct 5, 2009.

lkennedy750il guest

I have a 2001 750il with 106,000 miles. The Trans. Failsafe Program message is coming on intermittently at various speeds, even sitting in park at idle. Recently the DSC indicator is illuminated as well.

What should I expect to hear from the dealer on this one ?

az3579

Bend over.

Just out of curiousity, did you have the tranny fluid changed?

lkennedy750il guest

Nope - have not had the fluid changed. I'm torn between going to a very reputable (50+ years, highly recomended) trans shop locally rather than to the dealer (Kuni). They just tried to hose me for $1195 for a starter. A Bosch rebuild is $125...

I'm fine with funneling the necessary funds into this car periodically - it's a priviledge to own and drive it for the price I paid (13K @ 99,000). This will be the test of the $2000 warranty I bought for major components, I guess.

Autohaus guest

If you have a 3rd party warranty for your 750iL, hopefully you should be fine. However, these warranty companies will try to find every excuse in the book to dodge the repair bill. They may ask for proof of a tranny fluid and filter change even if BMW claims that the tranny fluid is a lifetime fluid :rolleyes:. Contact them and see if they will cover the tranny repairs at the dealer. If all else fails, try bmrparts.com. They offer used and remanufactured units with the option of a lifetime warranty. Good luck.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You need to have the car scanned. It will tell you what is causing the fault. You can have a good independent do this if they have the correct equipment. Where are you located?

paprmkr guest

Dirty ABS sensors

can cause the error to pop up. would not hurt to clean ..DSC lights also come from the sensors.

meteck

Yes, it needs to be scanned. Many things besides a toasted tranny will cause thise errors.

dms540i

Make sure to test the ignition switch. Low voltage can cause a faulty trans failsafe warning.