Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New M3 Engine Break In?

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by wanesso, Apr 2, 2008.

wanesso

New, very new at having a performance engine--salesman said go very easy on the engine and the brakes for 1200 miles---does this mean drive the speed limit and brake slowly or don't red line it-----?

M3Driver guest

All the above. Be kind to your engine during 1200 mile break-in. It will thank you in the long run. Check your owners manual for the the specifics.

330indy1

and then take it in for the M inspection and fluid changes.

all covered under the new car warranty -- no charge.

wanesso

appreciate the advice

You all are great voices of reason, thank you--I will continue to come here often for advice from the experienced.

lugnut guest

There is actually a sticker in the upper driver's side of the windshield that tells you all the details for proper break in. At least it's been on both my e46 M3, and my e92 m3. I believe for the first 1200 miles it says that you should keep it below 5500rpn, and 105mph. Also it says not to give it full throttle (I have had a debate with many people ranging from driver's to service managers about this meaning pedal to the floor, or redline - no definite answer yet). After that you MUST take it for the 1200 mile inspection, or your warranty may be voided. Then you have a much less restrictive secondary break-in period until 3500 miles.

Hope you enjoy your M as much I do. Even shifting at 5500 the car is still a blast.

wanesso

first 200 miles in

Got my new M3 coupe--Jerez Black, 19" wheels, tech and perf. packages---wow, WOW, I love it--will take a while to program the computer to my specs---noticed a fair amount of rubber necking at stop lights already.....which is fun. And will drive Granny-like for those first 1200---although under 105 MPH is not hard, harder to keep it under 5500 rpm. Has anyone been to one of the local clubs driving schools? Like the one in October at Watkin's Glen or the S.C. ? And are there too many serious competitors there......:cool:

bimmer5

Yep, keep it to < = 5,500 rpm for f1st 1,200 miles / service.

CryNoMo guest

Its also very important to vary your gears and rpms (not to excees max), thats very easy to do around town. But this applies to most doing long tours, especially if you're picking the car up at PDC for your drive home. Dont just leave it at 55mph cruise all the way home, vary it, get those valves, rings etc.seated.

cougarclaws guest

M3 Breakin

Breakin period does not simply mean to "baby" the car. Drive like you normally would, and keep under the suggested RPM and speed BMW provides in their documentation. You can get on it, just stay within the recommendations. I know someone who bought a Honda and immediately took it on a road trip. They set "cruise control" and drove over 8 hours. The next morning the car would not start. They had to rebuild it. The secret is to vary speed, RPM and torque during the breakin, while staying within recommended manufacturer limits.:D:D

I can't wait to get mine.....It is "enroute". I sold My 03 E46....I miss it terribly:(:(

wanesso

Breaking in

It's very exciting waiting for your M3 to arrive--congratulations. I'll be at 1000 mi. tomorrow, need to make the appt (unfortunately the local BMW dealership sucks, I'm a bit worried about the mechanics...) It's easy to keep it under 105 mph as recommended but it's not so easy to keep it under 5500 rpm. The car wants to be in 3rd or 4th at 6OOO---there before you know it....but patience is certainly a virtue with a 73K car..........

good luck (what color?)

cougarclaws guest

My new car is Sparkling Graphite Metallic.
    Sorry to hear about your dealer. I am lucky and have a great dealership. Got all options except SMG and the sunroof ( I like the carbon fiber roof ). The 19" wheels will be nice, but I am curious how much more they weigh if anything (they say forged light alloy).

These cars like to rev, as my previous E46 M3 did. But after a month or so, you learn to keep it toned down a bit. Be sure during break-in your settings are not set to sport and that helps. Have you seen BMW's new virtual mechanic? Even a poor mechanic can't miss with it.

Enjoy the car....I still have close to a month to wait for mine :(

330indy1

did you sell outright your e46 or trade it?

lugnut guest

Hmm...sounds like I was the only one that had trouble keeping it below 105 (I confess, i did exceed 105 once during the break in - I simply had to).

Mine is space gray over fox red. Do you have any pics of your Graphite one? I was on the fence between Graphite and Space, but opted for space.

As per the 19" wheels, you can get a lighter set of 19s from BBS for far less money. I stuck the the OEM 18s, and they actually make my M3 look like a track car b/c the whole car looks grayed out. If you got 1000 miles on just have the fluid swapped out now. The dealer will do the 1200 mile service as long as you are in the neighborhood of 1200. BTW, 3rd gear will get you to about 115mph.....the sound is heavenly.:D

lugnut guest

Oh, and if the comment about the E46 was directed at me, I sold mine. Then 4 hours later the idiot drove it about 200 feet into the woods and totaled it. Best part was that he was suspended at the time, and therefor didn't have insurance. To make the story even better/worse, he then tried to put the car in his girlfriend's name to collect the insurance. This stroke of genious landed both he and his girlfriend in jail....Kids today....

Still, I would have rather sold the car to some one for 10k less to have the knowledge that it would still be carving up the roads today.

Kyle328is guest

That sucks, I'd go crazy if that happened to the car that used to be mine.

330indy1

yeah me too

I sold my e36 Dinan cabrio to a neighbor three doors down, for a bit less, just so I can see my handywork from the last five years roll by. The UUC exhaust I put on it still brings a smile to my face.:eek:

[IMG]

cougarclaws guest

No pics yet. Just the generics ones. Late may I will have lots! How does anyone sleep while waiting for delivery??

cougarclaws guest

I sold mine. Got an extra 5k for it. The person who bought it is in love with it. The car was close to showroom. I am fanatic about taking care of my cars. Of course it was a driver with 37k on it, so it was not perfect....just close.

wanesso

Anticipation--forget sleep!

No way could I sleep! Even now, that's what gets me up in the morning for work--the thought of driving the M3 (I chose Jerez black, 19" wheels, tech and performance pack, heated seats, satellite radio and ipod adaptor)---I think the 18" grey wheels look great w/ the greys and anything not black---but w/ the black, looks a bit like permanent brake dust (not that it's a bad look). For me (female)--the 19" steel wheels added a touch of elegance to the big shouldered power look. Congrats and try to get a bit of sleep---but when you first lay eyes on your car, you'll be totally energized!!!!

lugnut guest

Yeah Kyle, it still bugs me. I didn't even ask the Detective for pictures.

I saw a Jerez Black M the other day. It looks cool. kinda dark blue when the sun hits it just right, but metallic black otherwise.

As for the wheels, I love the gray, but then I also have a gray car. I actually want to throw a set of BBS LM-R's on it, but I don't want to go back to silver wheels. I'm hoping to find a ceramic brake set for it soon too to get rid of the brake dust issue (the gray wheels hide the dust very well).