Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New BMW Totaled Without a Scratch

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by figradio, Oct 4, 2009.

figradio guest

I have a 2002 E39 540ia and my wife (now) has a new 2010 E60 535Xi. Her 6 month old E60 2009 535xi with 4,000 miles was totaled because she was driving along the NJ shore during a recent storm and had water from a large puddle seep into the engine. This condition known as "Hydro locking" immediately stopped the engine and that was it. Done, gone, totaled. We are not talking about forging deep water up to the headlights, but she could not avoid the flodding from high tides and heavy rain. Although insurance took care of it, it seems a shame that a brand new car would now be totaled. It was because the cost of pulling and repairing the engine is simply too much. It may never run right again. Thank goodness it was a lease and not my fully paid for 2002 5401. I have never heard of the condition before although it makes sense. You simply can't drive a low sitting car in any moderate puddle, ever. otherwise, it's totaled, come hell or...uh...high water

BimmerBrad

No wonder our insurance costs are so high. What would it cost, $10,000 - $12,000 to replace the engine? What would the salvage value be, $20,000 - $25,000? Instead they total a brand new car that could have easly been repaired. Ignoramuses.

330indy1

WOW, That new body is worth at least a new engine. what else was screwed up?

CRKrieger

I would say there's a good chance it stopped in deep water. It had to be deep enough for the air intake to be under water and hydro-locking an engine is an instantaneous event, so she didn't drive it out.

Are you in the habit of buying flood-damaged cars?

330indy1

ummmmmm

no

figradio guest

Correct. It stopped immediately. And it must be noted on the title that the car was flood damaged. I suspect it will be sold for parts. BTW, there was no water inside the cabin, not even the rug was wet.

CRKrieger

So somebody might get a great deal on some very good lower door seals! :D

granthr

The engine replacement of this car is in the $25k range. It is not a cheap engine. That is just for the engine. Since it was most likely salt water that did the damage, this car would probably have had nagging problems for its life. The salt water would corrode all kinds of wiring and senors which would just be a nightmare to try and fix.

I had a friend who did the same thing to a Lexus and the car was never the same. Problem after problem arose, and finally gave up on it after about a year on the new motor.

Sorry about your loss, but you are probably for the better to get a new car. Just try to avoid those coastal storms! :eek:

mose121 guest

Agreed. It's doubtfull that the water was less than a foot deep for this to happen. Chances are that even though the carpets aren't wet that there's water below them, which means all the wiring and control modules are probably corrosion experiments by now. We had a 6 seriers that was over the hood in water. After the water receeded the car started and the client drove it in here, albeit barely chugging along. Car was a few months old with hardly any miles and it was totaled as well. Ins' co.'s tell me all the time that if the water is above the floor it will likely be totaled.